Would you remain friends?...

Recently a relatively new friend of mine lent my husband $20. Not a big deal. What made it a big deal is that he did not give the 20 back on the exact day he said he would. He was wrong I know, he did pay her back 2 days after he said he would. No big deal in my mind. She got the money back. Reason for his being late... It was the weekend. Our bank was not open and he worked until after banking hours on the friday. She did not care. Now she will not call me if she knows my husband is around. She can look out her window and see our driveway and know if he is home. Her entire demeanor has changed. I have given her money before and never made a big deal about ever being paid back, never even asked. I do not think she is a true friend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• "Never a lender or borrowed be."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If it was a large sum of money I might understand her impatience; however, I think she is acting like a child. $20 is really no big deal.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Why do you think she doesn't want to call you when your dh is home? Just bc he was late on paying her back...?

And why now is this the first time it happened?

Just let some time to blow this over and then ask yourself again if you think she is a true friend it is still too early to tell.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• she probably is saying the same thing about you and your dh (not true friends). She might have needed that money back at the time he said he would give it back. He should have said Friday or Monday at the latest giving her a chance to make the decision. If she knew he would be later repaying it she may have not lent the money. Maybe it has caused her problems...like maybe she needed food or to put the money in the bank and now she's overdrawn. You never know but its important to say when you can really pay it back.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree, obviously, $20 was a big enough deal that you needed to borrow it, maybe it was also that big a deal to her that she get it back when you said. Or, did she have to go to you to get it back, making her think that why you didn't was just an excuse, or did you call her and say, hey, I'm really sorry, but my dh got home late from work and the bank is closed, can we give the money to you on Monday?

Also, was he a jerk about it when he gave her the money back? Because if he was like "geez - here's your money - what's the big deal" Or was he like "here's your money, I'm sorry I was late getting it back to you, some stuff came up. But I really appreciate you loaning it to me."

Because, honestly, if she wasn't a friend she wouldn't have loaned it to you to begin with.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009