"Accidents" Are Back and I"m Tired

Well, the "accidents" have returned. I took my daughter back to the doctor who said that she was still a little constipated and to keep her on the medication for another 2 - 3 months. What I've noticed is that when she's playing with the video games or watching TV it gets worse. She just uses it on herself and keeps going like she didn't do anything. Now, to make matters worse, when she goes on her overnight visit with her dad, he puts Pull Ups on her because he doesn't want to clean up her "mess". Now she thinks it's ok. When I know it's just laziness, I take away the video games and TV from her. This works for the time, because she'll make sure that she goes in order to get the priviledge back. Once it's returned, she starts using it on herself again. I've also noticed that when she's out with me, she makes sure that she goes, but at soon as she gets home, it's back to going on herself again...suggestions, please!

mrslourob

Asked by mrslourob at 10:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ask her if she why she is doing this? this happened to my son. I asked him why and he told me because he didn't want to miss anything...so we had this long, long talk and it took some time. I thought I was alone in this until my cousin told me that they go through this every year at the beginning of school. I know I potty trained him and it was easy but why did he regress...to my understanding most kids do this...mine, as I said, did it because he didn't want to miss anything. If your daughter is so busy with playing and she knows she needs to go, she doesn't want to stop what she is doing. So, make her go every 2 hours. Take away the toys until she goes.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 11:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my son also had a lot of problems with accidents and being constipated.....drove me nuts...... Long story short he was 5 almost 6 when we got a diagnosis of Autism (asperger's syndrome) gastrointestinal problems are a symptom of autism. I always thought Autism meant a child who was severe and non verbal. My son is high functioning.....just like Bill Gates (the Microsoft guy) just something you may want to keep in the back of your mind. At 5 y.o. It may be something more than just being lazy......IJS G/L

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• She probably doesn't want to leave the games/tv. My SS does this. He's gettin better but almost had an accident last week because he waited too long..and the close bathroom was occupied. He got a long, stern talking to about how he can't wait till the last minute...and how the game will still be there when he comes back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Perhaps you could take her to the bathroom every 30 minutes (between shows) when she is watching t.v.? Pause the game every now and then and take her to the bathroom until she makes it a habit. If she refuses, take away t.v. time or game time. I would, however, limit t.v. and game time to no more than an hour a day if you can. I don't know how much she is watching/playing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Okkkkay, maybe I need to go to bed. I totally missed/skimmed over half of your question out of exhaustion. Sorry I was no help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2009