Any DIY halloween costume ideas for my DD?

My daughter will be 3 1/2 months old on Halloween. I am wanting to make her costume for her (just for pictures and to visit some family members in) Does anyone have any relatively inexpensive ideas for an infant costume?

reava

Asked by reava at 11:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Holidays

• Pea's in a pod?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I've thought of that and it's one I'm considering, Thanks!
    reava

Answer by reava at 11:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My DD was four months for her first Halloween and I made her a fairy princess costume which was adorable. I just cut out petals from some shimmery material (pink and purple) and sewed them onto a pair of pants, and sewed little wings on a onesie....tada...pretty silly but she was cute!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My ds was 10 mos old when his first Halloween rolled around. He was obviously too young to take trick or treating, but I wanted him dressed up for pictures and for fun :-)

What we did was we took a pair of yellow baby long johns - you could also use a blanket sleeper, and I outlined then colored in black stripes on it (depending on the fabric, you can use fabric paint that comes in a marker or you can use a perm. marker). Then we took a scrap of black silky fabric and sewed it into a cone and stuffed it with batting and attached it to the butt of the sleeper. (you can pin it on or use velcro so you can take it off to sit or whatever).

We also took a clothes hanger and bent it into the shape of 2 little round wings and covered it with black pantyhose. (we wrapped the extra around the middle for padding, and used that to pin the wings to the back)

VOILA - he was a bumble bee :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I cheated and hit a resale shop. My son was only 6 weeks old, so we didn't do anything special.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• How about a strawberry... with the greenery her hat...
    Pea Pods are a big hit
    I have seen a Glow-Worm costume too...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• A panda? some white and black fabric? maybe a pillow case.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thanks for all the great ideas!
    reava

Answer by reava at 10:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My ds was a pumpkin last year - Grandma bought the costume from Hannah Anderson, it cost a fortune! Especially since it is just a little onesie and hat. I believe I still have it, would you like it? I'd be more than happy to mail it to you! PM me :)
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I am doing a pumpkin for dd. All you do is find directions to make a tutu on google. You start with thin elastic and measure the waist or in this case (a tutu dress) right under her bustline. Tie the elastic off. Next you will need tulle (for a 3 month old I would guess 25-50 yds, your preference of layers and thickness) you cut it at the length you want the dress to be x 2. Find the middle and wrap around the elastic waist and tie. Do this all the way around until you reach desired fullness. Next you need a small amount of green tulle for the top of the dress. Probably 1 yard. you will do a similar procedure except alot shorter strips of tulle, approx. 6 inches total making it 3 inches on each side of the knot. Next for the headpiece, you just need a green crochet headband and orange tulle. You take the orange tulle and fluff it up like a pom pom and tie it off, hot glue it to a clip and place clip on the headband.
    vikaroo18

Answer by vikaroo18 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009