Why do you celebrate Christmas?

Is it because you believe it is Jesus' birthday? Well, actually Jesus was not born on Christmas. Christmas is actually a Pagan Holiday called Yule.

If you do not believe me Google it.

palexander

Asked by palexander at 11:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• thats a good question... I have no idea why ppl celebrate I guess its just because its fun to give ppl presents and receive them...who knows
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Because it's fun :-)

We're pretty typical of most people, I think: A tree, gifts, dinner, & looking at the lights.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree. It is fun. I was asking more then ones that celebrate because it is "Jesus' birthday".
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I guess we can try and move Christmas to September then. Since that is when He was born. :-) Think it would fly?? I doubt it, people are set in their ways! :-) Regardless of when His birthday is we do celebrate His birth on the 25 of Dec as a way of Honoring Him. It may have been a pagan holiday but what satan meant for evil God turns around for good.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• why do we celebrate his birth when Jesus himself didnt celebrate it. i think theres only 2 birthday celebrations in the bible and they both ended in tragedy, one of them being the beheading of John the baptist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Actuall it was roman pagans who first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. That is how we got Christmas,Yule is celebrates Dec 21-22 if I'm crorrect. God bless
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Christmas is not the same thing as Yule. Christmas was placed in Dec for the same reason Easter & all Saints Day were placed where they are. The Church decided to put Christian holidays near Pagan holidays in hopes of people celebrating the Christian ones & not the Pagan ones.
    Seeing as I'm not Christian, Christmas to me is a family holiday. It's a time for me to spend with the people I love. There are many family members who I only see at Christmas. My dh is Christian. So, for him, it's a celebration of the birth of Jesus. Since I respect his beliefs & don't personally care how we celebrate the day, we try to keep the religious spirit of the holiday (at least for our celebration at home). Starting this year, we'll also be celebrating Advent, to keep the religious spirit of the holiday & to show the kids what the holiday is really meant to be about. It's important to dh, so I'm happy to do it for him.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 12:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Because i was raised with it.
    I celebrate Yule, as well as a secular Christmas. Although, my IL's do like to turn it into something more religious. I dont mind that they teach the kids about Jesus and his story. As long as they get the facts right. And they KNOW Jesus was not born on Christmas so they tell the boys that this is the day it is celebrated.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I to was raised to celebrate it as Jesus' Birthday. But I see it as a time for family. This year I will be celebrating Yule and will continue to decorate for Christmas and not being any religion into the celebration.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The winter solstice is actually Yule
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 1:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009