On averge, how many soiled diapers should a newborn have? My baby is four days old and he is having like 6 a day.

mom662

Asked by mom662 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds about right to me. That's normal for brand new babies. Especially if you are breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• By soiled do you mean poop, pee, or both? A newborn should have six to eight WET diapers a day (24 hours) plus any number of poops (one that has both in it counts in both catagories). If you're nursing, it's important to keep track of diapers to make sure your little one is nursing enough. If the count seems low, make sure you're not limiting your little guy's nursing sessions - he should be put to the breast as often as he wants for as long as he wants.
    I'm not sure what the guidelines are for FF babies regarding how often to feed and how many diapers should appear in a day. The nurse at your son's doctor's office should be able to tell you though. Give them a call, they would rather help you before any problems develop than have to try and fix a problem in a few days or a week!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• sounds good to me if your breastfeeding you can pretty much expect a dirty diaper at every feeding. bottlefed babies usually tamper off and only poop once or twice a day. my baby is still breastfed and is 4 and half months and still poops 3 times a day. but when he was real little it was almost a gaurentee he would poop after every feeding.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• ah, my kid popped so much it wasnt funny. Like 8 poopy diapers a day. Gotta love newborns.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:43 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Most babies that young poop after every feeding sometimes! It will regulate in the next few weeks.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Poo varies widely among babies. Some go once a day...some go 6-7 times a day. Its all normal. There will be times when baby doesn't go for days...during growth spurts especially and thats normal too. A breastfed baby will sometimes go for up to a week without a bowel movement during a growth spurt...formula fed babies is a few days max.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009