Remedies for Strep Throat?

I'm trying to remedy at home, because I don't have insurance, and I don't want to fork over big bucks. The article I read online said lots of chamomile tea, sage, and garlic. Also gargle with hot salt water.

Other than this, I'm also taking Ibuprofen for the ginormous swelling and pain, and some throat spray. But I'm still having lots of trouble swallowing and I've even choked on spit a couple times today, lol.

Anyone else know anything I can do to alleviate the pain and swelling? Also, what do I do with the garlic and sage? Eat it raw? I've had 2 cups of chamomile tonight, but maybe I'm just being impatient. But it's SOOO aggravating!!

Make me feel better! Please? :D

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 12:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Home remedies can be great, and what you're doing is great for easing the pain from strep. But, you need to get antibiotics to get rid of it. Strep can spread fast, and, as a pp said, it can develop into Scarlet Fever and stuff. Not to scare you, but you can literally die from strep if it goes untreated.

I would suggest trying to find a free clinic somewhere, or a walk in clinic that might not cost as much as an er visit, then arranging a payment plan to cover it if you can't pay for it now, just paying so much a month...

I hope you feel better soon!

btw - the garlic, if you're doing it for medicinal reasons, you should eat raw - it's good for the immune system and this is it's most potent form.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:35 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You need to find a way to get to the dr. When I was 18 they had told me if I got strep again I would have to get my tonsils out. So me being smart I knew I had it for about 2 weeks and finally when I couldnt stand being sick anymore I went to the dr. I had scarlet fever the infection was in my blood and my tonsils were abcessed. Talk about sick. That is nothing to play with.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• treynlisa: http://ezinearticles.com/?Effective-Home-Remedies-for-Strep-Throat&id=225748

srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You have to see a doctor! You need antibotics how about a free clinic or county hospital.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You really should find a way to be seen, strep can get extremely bad extremely fast; if you were to call into the ER right now they would want you to come in considering that you aren't swallowing properly and choking. That is very dangerous please take care of yourself and get seen, good luck.

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 12:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I love home remedies but they r sometimes slow and with certain things like this I would go to my doctor.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you call a doctor and tell them you know for sure you have it, they might give you a prescription for antibiotics. My BF had it 3 years ago and my mom called in to get antibiotics for me(just in case) they didn't ask for me to come in, they just called it in to the pharmacy. A lot of places have $4/$5/$10 generics now, you need it.

I CAN'T get strep, I have some weird immunity to it, so I don't know what it's like but I imagine it's painful. Just call and ask for the meds w/o an appointment.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 2mothers says manuka honey heals everything, even homosexuality
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Lol anon!

Ok, everybody, I'm asking for at-home remedies. I'm trying to hold off on going to the doctor as long as possible. If it gets any worse, I will go in, but doctors offices are about an hour away, at the least.

OwensMama: I will try that, but all the doctors around here are money-hungry, so I doubt they'll do that. It can't hurt to try at least.

Today I took 2 pills from a leftover Z-pack that my mom had. I also ate 3 cloves of garlic (it's a natural antibiotic). We'll just have to see how I feel tomorrow afternoon.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2183736_use-garlic-as-antibiotic.html
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree w/ the above. Some good ideas on helping the pain. Are you sure it's strep? White patches and the whole bit? Look, call and ask about a billing plan to pay off a dr. visit. You'll need antibiotics because as everyone says, it can turn dangerous. Two zpack pills won't help. You need a whole course of drugs for a week. The zpack if not taken correctly can cause it momentarily abate and then come back raging.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2009