Step Kids Pooping their pants, Help!!!!!

My SS is 7 years old and still has "accidents". I have been with his father since he was 3, and his "accidents" continue to get worse. We actually cannot go anywhere without bringing extra underware and pants. His mother says he can't help it and it's a biological problem. But is it a biological problem when he does it and doesn't want to get himself cleaned up? He will actually keep playing or just sit in it without telling anyone. On our family vacation he didn't tell anyone and sat in it for hours. Just recently his sister (5) started doing it too. What can we do besides seeing a doc.? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• make them wear pullups... if you take them to the dr and it isnt a medical problem punush them for it they both are way too old... my 3 year old rarley poops his pants and when he does he wants to be cleaned ASAP and he tells me hes sorry!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Wow...Honestly this is def. an issue. If he doesn't live with you his dad really needs to find out if the child is being abused in anyway at home and if not then the child might have some type of autism. That really isnt normal at that age and now his sister is starting??? Oh no most def. issues!!!
    shorty2gees

Answer by shorty2gees at 12:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Uh, this is not very normal in my opinion. How are things at home with the bio mom? I'd say they want attention but maybe not if they are willing to "sit" in it for hours. That is strange to me. Any psychologists here? How is this biological? and both kids? I'd investigate home life at the bio moms and make sure there's nothing bad going on.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This sounds gross but my little brother had that problem ad when he got old enough (5) theymade him clean out hs dity pants with his hands in the laundry sink and aftr standing there with his hands in poo a few times he eventually got the picture that it was gross and stopped!!
    mom2kids1984

Answer by mom2kids1984 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• They DO need to see a doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:53 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree with all of the above answers, 7 is too old for "accidents" ask her what kind of "biological" problem
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• sorry, ask what kind of biological problem it is...she may have just made that up....I agree, there may be something going on at home...
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would think it's an emotional issue. Problems at home? Maybe trouble tranisition between mom and dad's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It's a condition called encopresis...look it up.
    Anonymous

• I am reading these posts and am irritated by many of them. Those who suggested punishing the child, asked about emotional issues, and said 7 is too old to be pooping in pants - what medical degree do you have? Have any of you who suggested that ever experienced the problem? If so, you would know that you can yell, punish, beg, and none of this will work. There is a medical condition called encopresis and it IS biological. Please do not jump to conclusions or assume something is going on in somebody's home - google this problem and you will see how many forums come up with frustrated parents experiencing the same problem. Every single doctor would tell you that shaming a child with this condition is the worst thing you can do.
    momwhoknows

Answer by momwhoknows at 8:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010