When does your toddler usually eat dinner and go to bed?

We've always had a rather strange schedule in our family, partially due to the work schedule my DH used to have. When our son was born, my husband was working the 10a-7p shift and since we were sharing a car it was impossible to start the bedtime routine prior to him getting home. because I had to pick him up. Even tho he now works an 8-5 schedule, its been next to impossible to get our son acclimated to an earlier sleep schedule. Believe me, we've tried. We'll start at about 8 and it might be 10 before he finally falls asleep.

Now dinner is another thing. Most nights, he has no interest in eating before 7pm. At daycare, breakfast is served 8-8:30, lunc 11-11:30 and snack 3-3:30. I try to keep as close to that on the weekends as possible. we try to get dinner started as soon as we get home from work (around 5:30), but even if we do get it done early, he'll barely touch it. But if we serve it later, he'll eat more.

mama2conor

Asked by mama2conor at 1:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have a really crazy schedule but a few months ago now we got our kids on a schedule. We have them eat dinner between 6 and 7, this is beause they snake during the day. Both of my kids are very picky eaters and under weight so when we can get them to eat anything we go for it. Anyways after dinner is bath time, pediasure/ whole milk and then we try to have them asleep between 8:30 and 9:30, before they would stay up until 3 in the morning no matter what we did.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 1:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son is 12 mo, and our schedule is relatively routine. We eat around 6:15- 630, which usually lasts until 6:45. Then, we take a walk or go play ball outside. When we get home, we take a bath, about 7:20. Daddy gets the bottle ready while we're putting PJ's on, and then we all lay on the floor while he eats his bottle, reading and playing quiet, calmer games, then bed around 8. Sometimes the routine takes us to about 9, but that's usually due to my kid running around instead of eating his bottle.
    Could you feed him at 7 for 1 or 2 days, knock it back to 6:50, cut back to 6:40, and so on until he's eating earlier? You might also be able to ask them at daycare to either make his portions smaller or put him with an earlier group for snacks. He may just still be filled up?
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We don't really have any set schedule.... DH deployed 13 mos ago and it's taken me a lot just to get up and keep going during the day. Not to mention he calls at different times throughout the day (I thought he wasn't going to be able to call this often). I usually try to make dinner between 5-7, then take a bath right after dinner. Bedtime is supposed to be 9-930, but lately she hasn't been going to bed until 1030-midnight. She somehow always passes out at 7 or 730 and I can't wake her up! It is such a fight to get her to skip that "nap" so she will go to sleep!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son eats at 5, and usually goes to bed 7-7:30. I am trying to move those times a tiny bit later though.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 9:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My 23 month old eats dinner between 6 and 6:30 and goes to bed at about 7:30/8:00pm. He will sleep until about 7:30 or so.

Here is the exact schedule:
    7:30 wake up
    between 8 -9am, breakfast
    noon - lunch
    12:30-2:30 nap
    after nap is snack time
    Between 6 and 6:30 dinner
    7:15 - bath
    between 7:30-8 - bed.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:08 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My little girl is 18 months. We eat dinner at 6:30-7, and she gets about an hour to play. Then, at about 8:30, we begin bedtime routine. I rub lavender baby lotion on her, put her into her PJs, and then we go read a few stories. After that, we brush teeth, and she runs around telling everyone "Night night!", even the cat. Then we make her bottle, she gets to help me put the lid on it, and then I carry her to bed. it's lights out at 9pm, and I don't hear a peep until morning. Key number one is the Routine. It sucks when your schedule is so crazy that it's hard to establish one, but try your best. And absolutely wake him up if he naps at 7:30. Even if it makes him angry and grumpy.. he'll adjust. As a rule, I don't let my daughter take a nap passed 4 unless she's sick or something. It might take a week to make him understand that the bedtime you set is the rule, but he should get there.. Good luck!
    BKofSpielman

Answer by BKofSpielman at 2:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My 14 month old eat dinner around 5pm, and goes to bed around 7:30pm.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Thank you all. I'm not really too worried about the time he eats, as long as he does eat. I couldn't have them change up his feeding schedule at daycare because they are in a food program and they have guidelines to follow. Don't really want them to cut his portions (they get the proper portion sizes for their ages, and seconds if they want any, if there is enough) either, because I feel better knowing that he is at least eating well in school. He is a very picky eater.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 8:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009