women covering head during prayer

Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice-nor do the chuches of God.-1 corinthians11:13-16

What do you think about this ladies? It's probably a dumb question but I have to ask: Is a hat a covering for our head during prayer, or is our hair a covering for our head during prayer?

tii

Asked by tii at 1:51 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The answer you seek is in the passage of scipture that you quoted. "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory unto her; for her hair is given her for a covering." That was from my King James version. Your hair is given as a covering, but God will except any heartfelt prayer from any soul who is truly seeking Him. These scriptures really pertain to those who have known and served God and have learned to do what pleases Him. These things do not come naturally to all of us, it is a sacrifice to keep one's hair long. In vs. 11:14 it says: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? There are different requirements for different sexes, because each has their own special uniqueness and respecting those attributes is something to be admired in God's eyes so to speak. If we're faithful in the little things, then we'll be more likely to obey the greater requests from God.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't believe god cares how you pray or what you wear when you pray, as long as you pray.
    missvendetta

Answer by missvendetta at 1:55 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think it looks good when a woman covers her head when praying. I boldly go to the throne of God, through Jesus. And, if I have the opportunity, I like to kneel and cover my head when praying. I want to humble myself. And, there is the scripture that mentions the angels.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i think a hat is more of a covering than your hair. when i pray in my husbands presence, I pray with my head covered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I feel sorry for bald men and women.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Anonymous
    I feel sorry for bald men and women.

Why would you feel sorry for bald men?lol The bible says for a man not to cover their heads. And, a good opportunity for a bald women to not be stared at while she is praying, because she has her head covered and no one sees her bald head. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think it is interesting. Because, Jesus had long hair. I think that prayer is a private thing, done in a holy place and a head covering shows respect for God. But done properly it is not something for everyone, it is between the person and God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The Angels are mentioned further in that scripture. It's so they can recognise us as Women. This link helps to explain it from a Womens point of view. http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/headcoverings.aspx

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Jesus had long hair.  I guess he was a disgrace then.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I participated in a bible study about 1 Corinthians. It is so important to understand the context of the Corinthian community of Christians, to whom Paul was writing. They were starting to slip back into some of their pagan ways when they gathered together to worship. Going to a pagan temple was kind of like going to a combined steakhouse/whorehouse! So the point is modesty and not slipping back into pagan ways. "In Corinth, Greek and Roman women did not typically wear veils. They did, however, bind up their hair in pins or braids as a form of modesty, as a sign that a woman was married and respectable. Prostitutes let their hair down to show their availability." (Dr. Tim Gray, Adventures in 1 Corinthians: The Church and the Christian Community, 2008, pg. 34). Also, as far as Paul not wanting the men to cover their heads up, that came from the fact that pagan cultic priests wore hoods over their heads.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 10:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2009