What would their babies look like?

This question is actually for my sister. She's not pregnant yet (waiting until she gets married) but she is white with totally recessive genes (red hair, green eyes...Irish to boot!), and her fiance is Indian (as in, from India, but born and raised here in the states).

Her fiance says their kids would look like her with "dirty cheeks", she thinks they would look exactly like him. Since it's not common for this type of mixed relationship (that we're aware of anyway), what do you think? What would their babies look like? Anyone have any direct experience with this?

She's googled her little heart out to no avail, so I said i'd come here and ask. I know it's a silly question, but I appreciate and positive feedback! Thanks ladies!

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 2:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• it's hard to say. My dad is dark skinned itialian with dark hair and blue eyes my mom had green eyes, pale skin and dark hair. My brother has my dad's darker complextion, almost black hair and dark brown eyes. I have light brown hair, greenish/brown hazel eyes and my mom's near corpse coloring.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:43 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Seriously?

Noone can tell her what her baby is going to look like.
    The baby could look like both, look like one or like neither. They could have a blonde hair blue eyed baby for all they know (Yes, it is possible!)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• One of my friends is married to an italian guy (Dark dark skin, black hair, brown eyes) and here she is pale skin, brown hair, green eyes their two kids look totally different. One is dark skin, blonde hair and blue eyes the other has red hair, hazel eyes and medium toned skin.

Same with another couple they're both italian, dark hair, dark eyes, dark skin and their daughter has dirty blonde hair and blue eyes.

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yes, I realize no one here is Sylvia Brown and can say FOR SURE what they'd look like. But I figured maybe someone who knows a bit more about genetics than I do could better inform me.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• AS I said the child could look like her, or him or a good mixture or neither one. Typically the darker hair/eyes are the more dominant gene so the child does have more of a chance of having darker hair/eyes but at the same time the percentage is just so iffy noone can really tell you.

I just don't see why it's such a big issue.. I mean a big enough issue that she has spent her time googling it? BTW, not sure what you meant by their type of relationship not being common but it is QUITE common for white/irish people to marry & have kids with someone who is of darker skin/hair/eyes (Such as italians, indians, etc etc) atleast in my area anyway..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• it is OBVIOUS any potential offspring between her and her SO will receive features from both parents, such as the shape of their eyes or nose, or height. That is, however, not the question. Dark hair and dark eyes ARE the dominant genes in human genetics, and red hair and green eyes are certainly recessive...and that was stated in the initial post, so it was unnecessary for you to repeat such information. It is not a big issue between them, just something they talk about often in a lighthearted manner because they both think we are right. Also, it is most definitely not common for an Indian to be involved with a non-Indian due to a very rich but fairly strict culture not being totally comfortable with it just yet.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• * They both think THEY are right.
    Typo. My bad.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• ok here is an example of never knowing what your kids will turn out like.

My birth mother :blonde hair, brown eyes
    My father: Black hair blue eyes

Me: Auburn red hair and green eyes

While it is fun to try and guess what your children will look like (I think they have generators online) no real way of knowing for sure until baby is here :-)
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Well then what are you asking? I mean really... what else do you want people to tell you?

Oh yea the child will have yellow hair, purple eyes, an elephant trunk for a nose and chipmunk cheeks. I mean seriously? Happy now? I've given you every option to think about there is and you still say that wasn't what you were looking for. What? do you want a picture of what their kids will look like?

"Also, it is most definitely not common for an Indian to be involved with a non-Indian due to a very rich but fairly strict culture not being totally comfortable with it just yet."\

I hate to tell you but it's more common than you seem to think. If it wasn't so "common" why do I see it all the time with people I know?

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Is the answer to this the final deciding factor in whether they get married or not? :/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2009