Help! My daughter is turning 10!

My heart races when I think about the fact that my oldest daughter is turning 10 in a couple weeks. What freaks me out the most is that I myself am only 26. Everyone knows the situationals of being a teen mom, but what about when you are a mom to a teen and you haven't even left your 20's?! I was doing the math and figured out that when I'm 28, I will have a kid in middle school. Can you say, OMG!

Anyways, my question is are there any moms out there who have gone through what I'm going through right now? Anyone was a teen mom and went through their 20's with a nearly teenager. However did you deal? Also, I just want to know am I freaking out for no reason.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 2:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• btw, I'm 37 now, and both my kids are in hs - a Jr and a Soph. I am still their mom, and I can be a pretty strict mom about a lot of things, but you know, my kids and their friends like to talk about stuff to me, because I do listen, and I do remember what it was like being their age, and can offer advise, but yet I'm still a parent / adult in their lives, and I don't make excuses for them or allow them to get away with stuff.

Hope this helps :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I wasn't as young as you - my oldest was born when I was 20, and my youngest was born when I was 21. A good friend of mine whose ds is almost 13 had him when she was 15. He's an honor roll student, she's almost finished with college, and her and her dh do a great job with him and her dd.

Honestly, you're going to be fine, and I wouldn't let it freak you out too much. As long as you take care of your kids, and you've been doing that all along, you're going to be fine :-)

At that point, having a few more years isn't going to make you any more or less able to parent a teen / pre teen than you will be already, because you will have grown into the job, just as your dd will have grown into that age? kwim?

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't really think it makes any real difference HOW old you are in numbers. Would you change anything if your had the chance, I doubt it. It is more the issue that your baby is about to hit double digits, that makes this scary.

My DD will be 10 in March and be about 5 inches shorter than me. i just wonder where my little girl and the years have gone.
    ElleinOz

Answer by ElleinOz at 8:28 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I agree with both of you. Maybe I am just freaking out because she's hitting the double digits and that would be normal no matter what age I am. And like the 1st lady said, by my dd entering her almost teen years, it does give me the chance to figure out what type of 'mom to a teen' am I going to be. Will I be the cool mom that my dd and her friends can talk to, or will I be a more strict mom or an uninvolved mom altogether. Like you said, I'll grow into that role just like she will grow into hers. Thanks again ladies, I'm going to pick a best answer and close this question now.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2009