My Daughter is freaked out about showering and changing together at gym class. Does your schools make them do that ?

The coaches require them to change and shower in the open. She hates it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes they do have to dress out however showering is an option. They do have bathroom stalls where they can go into and change (atleast in every locker room i've ever been in)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was the same way. My middle and high school gym had bathroom stalls. Anyone could change in them. If not, she could probably leave her gym tote in her regular locker and change really, really quick in the regular bathrooms and run to gym class. I think she will gradually become more comfortable about changing in the open after awhile. Showering wasn't a requirement back then. That could have changed though. Just make sure she has deodorant on hand. Or she could shower in a bathing suit.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:08 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would get her some sort of cover to wear in the shower.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would have hated that. When I was in grade school we wore our gym clothes under our uniforms or changed in the bathroom. And then changed back after gym. In 8th grade we did gym with just girls and changed as a group in one of the classrooms but we still wore our gym clothes under our uniforms. We didn't have locker rooms or showers or even a real gym (just the basement of the school with those big pillars in the middle of the floor).
    In high school we had a locker room but no showers (they were there but there wasn't time to use them). We wore uniforms to school so most girls wore their gym shorts under their skirts and tossed their shirts on before class. We only had 5 minutes to get to class and change. I've never had to shower at school and most girls changed by putting their gym shirt on under their school shirt then taking the school shirt off so nothing was ever shown.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Showering should be optional. Our locker room was completely open, the bathrooms and showers didn't have curtains or doors. We all boycotted against showering because we all felt like inmates. They can't make anyone take a shower. When we changed I was sure to keep my butt facing the locker so I wouldn't moon anyone. Although, the worst of all was when we were changing the the 2 lesbian coaches would watch us thru their windows, and that was the main reason we kept our butts facing our lockers and would turn the opposite direction when taking our shirts off. From my understanding, majority of the girls feel this way, just very few say anything. In 7th grade, someone wore a thong and changed in the locker room, and that was kind of like the ice breaker for us. It's a weird situation no matter what, but I still think showering should be optional.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 12:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We only had a couple minutes to change back into our school clothes, so there was no time for a shower. I can't believe the school would allow "shower" time. Changing in front of everyone, yes. Showering, no.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I remember this back in grade school but not middle school. I don't think they can make your child shower. When we got to middle school we wouldn't shower, we would just change and there is always a bathroom stall that you could change in if you wanted to.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Our school MADE us shower in 7th grade. The female gym teacher came in and made sure we were all "wet". We hated it. Our locker room was one big room, no stalls (other than the 2 toilets) and no curtains. The shower was like a prison shower, set right in the middle of the locker room, no way for any possible privacy. No one wanted to shower.

We used to leave our bras and panties on, with a towel wrapped around us, bra straps taken off and tucked into the the towel and walk in and get our arms sprinkled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Ours had showers, but they weren't required, and NOBODY ever used them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• They aren't required to shower, just encouraged here. I think late students {to next class} encouraged the school to just drop the rule... however there is still the ugh factor of having to undress together.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 12:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009