Red wine stain

Any tips for getting red wine out of carpet? We soaked it up with salt, but there's still a big ole' stain there. Thanks!

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 3:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• bumpI have no idea so I'm bumping and keeping my trap shut, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• You can mix 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of carpet shampoo or dish liquid, dampen a sponge with this solution, and start blotting it. Or you can use OxyClean or another oxygen bleach product. The trick is to get it wet enough to work, without getting it really soaked (which is bad for your floor.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Using oxyclean on a nylon carpet will cause a permanent bleach spot, so I suggest not using it unless you know what type of fiber your carpet is. You need to rinse and extract the spot, either with a wet-dry vacuum (google that if you don't know what it is) or by using a home steamer/shampooer. The key is to NOT use any chemicals or soap in it, as you may make the spot much worse. Blot it using plain hot water or club soda, and extract it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• There are specific red out cleaners in home depot and lowes as well as commercial cleaner supply companies (who do sell to non-businesses as well)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Nylon is actually a more expensive fiber than most of the others, like olefin, polyester, or polypropelene. If you want to try the oxyclean on the wine spot, test it in a discreet spot first, like the corner of a closet. Give it several hours and see if it changes the color at all. Then you'll know if it's safe to use on the wine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• A friend of mine got me hooked on this new eco-friendly stain remover called Winning Colours Stain Remover and it works on every stain I have had so far. I went to their website to find a store near me and used their store locator. Here is the link: http://winningbrandscorporation.com/store_locator.htm You might enjoy seeing these videos too to see what it can do: (first video shows removing red wine from carpet) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXmQIyYxtmw and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3dQBCP4e24
    JulieB34

Answer by JulieB34 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I don't want to risk bleaching the spot, as the house is a rental, and it's brownish carpet. I have no idea what kind of carpet, but I can't image it's anything crazy expensive (probably nylon or something like that).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009