Do you understand that some babies cannot nurse?

There are many reasons that moms do not nurse. Do you judge a mom for not nursing? My sister couldn't nurse her youngest due to cleft palete. You would not believe how many horrible comments she got. She mentioned today to someone that she didn't nurse her youngest and the woman responded that she could have if she really wanted to. Sis just got up and left. I was so pissed. So was she. My question is, are you really that ignorant that you believe all women can nurse all their infants?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i guess i am..there is also a a thing called pumping to give your baby the best, expressed milk. i understand that some babies have latching issue with the breast..but if the child has to be bottle fed it can at least be pumped breastmilk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Why does it matter what anyone else has to say?
    Don't take this the wrong way but I can just imagine you sitting and stewing about what you could have or should have said, lol. I do that once in a while too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• How old are your children? Because my niece was the youngest of 6. All the rest were breastfed until they were two. She was deeply saddened not to be able to nurse her daughter. Do you really think that it helps for you to criticise anyone for thier choice? As for pumping and giving breast milk she did for three months. Then her milk dried up. Doctor said it was from stress. Really who cares so long as the baby is fed healthy food?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am stewing about it. Mostly about how my best friend could be so thoughtless. How cruel. She knew the whole story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• im sure the baby having cleft lip makes it extremly hard or impossible for mothers to breastfeed. I dont know, I dont have that experience.

Sorry someone passed a quick judgement on her and tried to make her feel guilty, If she originally wanted to Breast Feed im sure it made her feel even worse.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• How do you anon 31 that the milk in the bottle that the infant is drinking is not breast milk???

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think moms that judge other moms are really not happy with there mother skills so they have to judge every other mother out there to make them self look good.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I personally do not think it should matter to any other woman, or person for that matter, on how a mother needs or chooses to feed her infant! All that I really care about is the baby is getting fed!!! I never knew there were people so against formula until I got on here. I think it is horrible any mother would judge another for her choice! Obviously they are trying to make up for something else... I hope you sis feels better and puts the comments behind her. Sounds to me it was an ignorant mother who thought she was better when really, she hasn't a clue what you sis has gone through!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• cleft pallets do make it very difficult, but it IS possible. a girl i know has a cleft pallet and her mother was saying how she nursed her but it was hard because it was hard for her to latch on and she would choke on it and she had to use a bulb syringe to get it out.

i do know there are reasons mothers cannot nurse they can however pump their milk and give it in a bottle. i think a lot of women though that are able to do it and dont are just lazy. JMHO
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Tell your sister to keep her head up and don't worry about what others have to say about her not brestfeeding. All that matters is that she tried, that means it was in her heart to do it in the first place. Anybody else with their negative comments can really keep it to themselves because it's not for them to judge. Every child is different, and pumping doesn't always work (especially if you're stressed in the first place that you can't feed the baby directly from the breast). Giving your child formula isn't like you're feeding him/her candy, it has nutrients in it too, that are similar to(grant it not as good as) breast milk, but the baby is still getting what he/she needs, and that's all that matters.
    WCurrie05

Answer by WCurrie05 at 6:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2009