Who agrees with this?

Do you think this is how it should be?
If you do or if you don't, please help me understand your p.o.v. .

http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/globalrights/econrights/fdr-econbill.html

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 3:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I do!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Okay Anon thanks for answering. Can you tell me why you think that this is how it should be ?
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Can I ride the fence on this? I agree with the general ideology of it, but don't think the government did a great job on playing it out, and would also have to argue over what exactly all those rights covered.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• cont.
    Such as recreation? Would that mean the freedom to skip rocks down at the lake, or would it be a right to a 47 inch flat screen and an X-box 360? I do think it was good for FDR's time, that was during the great depression and WW2.
    Lornamay

• Okay I am up late and bored lol!
    Well My thoughts are its like a sweet gesture to me.
    Like if your hubby bought you candy and flowers for no reason everyday. I think you would LOVE it at first, but the longer it goes on it wouldn't work.
    1. you would start to expect bigger better boxes of candy (houses, recreations,etc. etc.)
    2. It would lose value you wouldn't appreciate what you get or earn because you will always be expecting it.
    3. Nothing is fair. We know work = money= what you buy, If it was this way it would be doing nothing = everything you need (the rights). The math does not add up.
    4. It will discourage future generations to want to achieve more.

So my answer is nice thought but would never work.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• In the last part where the "rights" are listed, I would totally agree if these words were added to most of those rights..."to the opportunity to..." For example-"The right of every family to have the opportunity to buy a decent home".
    I believe the government's responsibility begins and ends with making sure that individual rights are protected, that opportunity is plentiful, and to provide some oversight in business, but beyond that, it is up to each person to determine the course of his or her life. What FDR laid out here is very similar to what's going on with the Democratic Party these days--trying to ensure that every person has these things, regardless of whether they have done anything to earn them, by taking more from those who have earned it, and distributing it among everyone.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2009