Satellite or Cable which one?

Ok, which one do you all prefer cable or satellite, who is cheaper in th long run. Did you have to pay any deposits in advance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• for one with a satellite you need to make sure with the company that you are going to be able to get local channels, with direct tv i wasn't able to and with dish network i still wasn't able to get fox, abc, cbs or anything like that. with direct tv before all the rules passed i got fox and cbs and abc from California, I live in ohio can you imagine how pissed off i was to see it was 80 degrees and sunny when i was freezin my ass off. Um also, dish network states that it has on demand, yeah on demand movies that pop up like 1 or 2 a month that you have to pay for anyway! The plus with dish network if you set up a primary receiver with a dvr (digital video recorder) you can have up to 3 tv's running off of one box and change to diffrent stations etc.. and only pay one box fee. I've had excellent customer service with dish network, but direct tv is the pitts I hope this was somewhat helpful.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 5:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am not able to get cable out in the country where i live, i've had both dish network and direct tv, with direct tv there isn't a deposit unless your credit sucks and there is also a 2 year contract, with direct tv you have the option of purchasing the nfl package which is like 250.00 ack! I think my bill for direct tv was like 70.00 a month with no premium movie channels whatso ever! They charge you 5.00 per box that you have on the service per room and extra for your dvr box. With dish network i have the basic channels and i got the package for 6 months at 9.99 plus hbo, cinemax and starz, free for 3 months, they always have some kind of deal going, I now pay about 40.00 a month but i get the basic package, 2 disney channels, 2 nickelodeons, vh1, mtv, mtv2, lifetime, abc family etc... A few tips on what you are getting into with a satellite dish cont...
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 5:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We have had cable,didn't like it. They didn't have the channels I liked, for how much I was paying. We have Dish now. We get all the channels we want + local channels, have to pay a extra for it though. (we live in Oklahoma.

Answer by louise2 at 6:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We had cable then switched in satellite years ago and recently switched back to cable.  I honestly don't think one isbetter than the other but we have learnt to play the game.  Our local cable company offered us a great deal to sign up with them including 2 HDFPVR's so we did.  Of course we then had all the other companies call us to try and get us to sign with them.  We are tied in for two years and when that time is up we will shop around for the next best deal.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It all depends on where you live, really.
    When I lived in the city cable was the best way to go.
    Here outside the city in the countryish area we can't get cable so we have satellite.
    We have lost reception to both cable and satellite during bad weather, but satellite more. We get about the same amount of channels with both.
    I think satellite is a bit more expensive because you have to pay extra if you want it hooked up to more than one tv in your house, which is dumb. With cable, you pay one fee no matter how many tvs you hook it up to.
    Our satellite bill is part of our Verizon package so we get a discount, which helps, so we pay about the same amount as we did for cable.
    Check out the monthly fees and installation prices in your area - also what each company provides in way of service and channels.
    I don't know about cable, but with satellite you have to pay extra if you want HD channels.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I just read a response above......
    If you choose a satellite for your home, be sure to check what each company offers in your area. I noticed that the person who posted didn't get certain channels with her DirecTV, especially local ones. Here in northern VA we do - we get them all except for HBO and such, but we do get local, Fox, TLC, SyFy, etc.
    I do like how she can run all her tvs off of one box with Dish Network - that is definitely something to look into!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i love my at&t u-verse...
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We have always had satellite and I would never choose cable around here. We started with Dish Network and did have local channels then somewhere along the line, we switched to Direct TV and I hated it. I even cancelled my contract early and paid the balance so I could go back to Dish. Now we have our Dish bundled with our DSL service and it saves us $5 a mo. Every little bit helps. We used to have Dish and AT&T and we got tv, phone and internet for $99. Thats a fairly good deal.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We've had cable in the past and have had major issues with our cable provider and our bill. Hubby got so tired of their foolishness that when we bought our home he swore he would not give them any more of our business and we've been with Direct TV for over three years now.

Except for the fact that every time there is a strong storm the satellite goes out (and for the most part it's only out for a max of 20mins or so) we love it. They get our bill right every month and we've not had major problems. We use Direct TV.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Oh I forgot to mention that we get all our local channels with Direct TV and tons of other channels that come under their basic plan. I don't much care for extra channels like HBO, Showtime and Starz. They play the same movies over and over again. If I wanted to watch a movie 50 times in a row I would let my 4yr old play that stupid Barney movie she loves so much. ARGH!
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2009