Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Income tax

So in Feb 09 I married my husband and father of my children. He owes over 7 thousand to diffrent collection agency's. I have really good credit. I've worked hard for my credit and it remains good. I almost didn't marry him because of his credit but I thought it was ridiculous since I stil had children with him and decided to live with him even through the bad credit he has. Since Im married to him are they going to take away my taxes? or is there something I can do because I've worked erally hard for my money and I get a little irate when I think of not being able to get my taxes.


Asked by babyangelromero at 6:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 17 (4,048 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

  • I am not 100% sure of this. But his bad credit could make your good credit poor credit. File seperetly when tax time comes. I would recomend not buying anything together, that has anything to do with credit scores. Go ask a Tax person for better answers on this subject.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:23 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

  • I have been in this situation. File jointly if you wish, but along with that, file an "Injured Spouse" form, the IRS will provide you with this or you can get it online or in the Tax book. That form separates your income from his and gives you yours back. It takes a little longer than usual and you can't file for a rapid refund with H&R Block or any of them because the injured spouse form has to be determined by the IRS> Good Luck!

    Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

  • It depends on the type of debt he has. Their is very few things that can be taken from your return, student loans, child support and back taxes I think are the only things. If he has any of those then you do need to fill out the injured spouse form and it will take awhile. As for the credit thing just do not fill out anything jointly. My mother has bad credit and my father has great and if he applies for anything he never puts her name on it. I also do this with my husband. I went threw a nasty divorce and learned the hard way about joint credit. Even if the courts say in the divorce papers that the other party is responsible, if you filled the credit app out jointly they will still come after you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

  • I think his credit will only effect you if you are on any of them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2009