My son is twenty months old and flaps his arms when he's excited and when I change his diaper?

He is a little speech delayed but not enough for our pediatrician to be worried and he understands and follows commands can point to lots of body parts and waves if we tell him to go get specific things like go get the car or mickey etc.he'll go get them can arm flapping mean there is something wrong with him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is just his way of showing he is excited!! He sounds on track with everything. I have a son who is speech delayed and he did not say one word at that age. My first son who had NO delay on said a few words at that age. By 25mo. he would not be quiet. LOL Hope this is helpful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son does this and he is 6 years old....whenever he is seriously excited he flaps....and he is perfectly normal and bright!

My dd has mild autism and rarely flaps. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My DD flaps her arms too when she is excited. Her doc says she is perfectly normal and maybe a little advanced for her age - she is also 20 months and says about 50 words. Enjoy the quirk while it last! Pretty soon he'll be on to something else!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 8:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son (14 mo), and another boy he is friends with (18 mo) both flap when they are very excited.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Do not rush in to labels or worry too much about what you read and freak out. There are many factors leading to issues you should be concerned with. One isolated one like flapping does not mean there is anything you need to worry about. Stay in close contact with your Ped, get him involved with kids his age so you can see what 'normal behavior" looks like (hint-no such thing, but sometimes you need to see a room full of kids to understand that), keep him active and engaged, eating healthy and READ TO HIM! If other issues develop then you can take action, but for now relax Momma- he is probably just excited!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i think that's cute.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son will be two in 3 weeks and he flaps his hands when he gets excited or upset. I think its pretty normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2009