help with sleeping through the night

Okay I dont expect my son to sleep through the night completely. But what has been happening lately I am about to lose my mind. I am running on fumes I think. He is 5 months now, well 22 weeks. He was doing excellent for like 2-3 months he would go to bed at 8:30 or 9, sleep till 4 have a bottle, then sleep till 6 or 7. Now he still goes to bed at the same time, wakes up at 12, or 1, 3 or 4 and then at 5 am mark, he is up like every 5 minute or 10 minutes or 20 minutes and its awful! I have tried to do everything right, he only wants a bottle once or sometimes twice, usually just a swig is all, then hes good to go. But he only sleeps on his tummy and lately he flips over and then cries cause he cant get back over I am assuming. I never pick hm up and rock him to sleep or anything, he goes to sleep on his own, so I have no spoiled him or anything like that. I have tried to do everything right and now give in, but I am so tired.

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 8:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like a phase or he may be getting ready for a growth spurt and his bones hurt so he is restless.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:15 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This too shall pass. It is a phase....one of many. It'll get better when he learns to flip the other way. Just try to be as consistent as possible. Don't rush into his room at night...let him be for a few minutes and see if he goes back to sleep on his own. If not, try turning him back over, rubbing his back and see if he'll go back to sleep. If you haven't already, you might want to start solids a bit early. If he's gearing up for a growth spurt, the milk might not be enough anymore. Try some cereal before bed and see how he does. It should be very watery at first...served on a spoon...put a little to his lower lip and see if he sucks it off. Then start putting the spoon in his mouth...if he takes it, he's ready...if his tongue pushes it back out after 3-4 attempts, then he's not ready for solids yet. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Could he be teething? That made my daughter sleep exactly how you are describing your son's recent sleep pattern. She started that a week before the tooth started to poke through.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have heard babies may get up a lot through the night if they are going through a growth spurt. I use constant white noise, make sure the room is dark and position him with a sleep positioner so he can't move too much. Hope it helps!
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009