Are there any Gnostic Christians out there?

I would call myself a gnostic christian, (i believe in spirits, and mediums, no concept of goin to hell and burning in lake of fire...etc) I just wanted to know is there anyone else out there? I am a young, black mother, and I come from long line of spiritualists on my mother's side which includes psychics as well...(my great-grandmother used to give readings) The things that I believe in go well against most of the teachings and upbringings of the black family and churches...I know there are a lot of believers out there...but it seems I havent really had any direct contact or convos with any....

mzhazelrae313

Asked by mzhazelrae313 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are. I think there may even be a group for them, you'll have to check. I have met a number of Gnostics but not all were Christian. I do know they are hear though...

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I believe in spirits and mediums and psychic (have even gone to a couple myself). I do believe in Hell though. So there are moms on here who have the same views as you. There are many.....They might be hiding right now. lol, kust kidding. They're on here. I know there are alot of religious groups on CM but I like Sabrina's group End Religious Intolerance. You should check it out.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I guess you could say I'm Gnostic, LOL.

I believe in all the above and then some.
    I have read the Gnostic books and LOVE them and use them in conjunction with my bible.

I don't know if there is a group or not - I haven't checked on that one. Thanks for the idea, Sabrina!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This group discusses Gnosticism and has some Gnostic mamas in it. Its a pretty good group I think. They may be able to help you out.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/42836
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• How can a christian be gnostic? You cannot believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and practice witchcraft ( meduims psychics etc) at the same time. Your either gnostic or a christian ( follower of the Anointed One)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Please explain gnostic Christian??
    2kids4pet

Answer by 2kids4pet at 12:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I practice Buddhism, but have a real liking for the Gnostic Gospels as well. The Gospel of Thomas is my favourite. There are some Gnostic Christians out there... keep looking back at the post to see who replies because I know I have seen Gnostic Christians here before. I'm also an admin of the group Unorganized Religion and I know we have a couple Gnostic Christian members if you wanted to look us up there!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Shane, can you explain why, it is ok for a Christian to recieve messages, however they do it from God, and it is ok. yet when a medium (many christian mediums exist) get messages and gives it to someone else, its evil or witchcraft?
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I know there has been this newish 'thing' for lack of a better word that people are calling Gnostic Christianity, but really if you read the book of Colossians, that is not was true Gnosticism is. Gnostics believe that they have some sort of inside track or that certain rituals, etc have to be performed in order to be a Christian. Paul warned the people in Colassi to be wary of heretics and Gnostics, saying that there is no secret society of Christians or what have you. That being said, I have no problem with people believing whatever they want or calling themselves whatever moniker they think fits, I just wanted to bring it up in case anyone wanted to look it up themselves because I don't think that Gnosticism has to do with dealing with the spirit realm.  Unless of course the group who are doing so think that the spiritual rituals and such are what earns them salvation.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• there is no such thing as a christian medium. It doesnt mix. Why is it evil... where they get their info from. Funny you should ask. I don't know if you would be interested, it is a christian book called Shifting Shadows of the Supernatural Power and this book addresses this very topic of "christian" mediums ect. It has stories that blew me away of how the supernatural works. It is by Julia Loren btw you can probably get it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble in the christian section. I am on the last two chapters of this book and it really put into perspective the difference between tapping into the Kingdom of Heaven Realm or the Satanic Realm.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009