Does anyone have a concrete countertop in there kitchen? If so do they like it?

Me and my husband bought a house and are redoing it before we move in. The kitchen was suppose to be how I wanted it. He has been pushing me into letting him do a concrete countertop . I don't think I want one. But, maybe if I knew some people that had one and there take on it. Might help me. I am doing my kitchen in Americana/Primitive. Thanks for all the help

smilinangel

Asked by smilinangel at 8:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• my girlfriend has one in her new house. it is absolutely beautiful. but just a side note, about a year ago or more consumer reports did an article on these and reported that after 5 years concrete countertops had lost more resilience than other materials and the owners were most disatisfied over the long haul with it. fading, cracking, loss of color and staining.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I saw one of these on a recent home improvement show, it was beautiful! The designer said that they are more durable than marble or formica, they don't stain and you can place hot dishes and pans right on them without leaving a mark. I would check into the long range durability of them, I can imagine that they may crack or chip over time.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 10:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would think it would be hard to wipe down...I dont know for sure cause tehy may have a sealant on them but Im imagining the rag catching on it..
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• ria7, it isn't like a concrete floor... It's no different than any other countertop (as far as being able to clean it, it has a smooth surface)

as for the OP, i've known a couple people who went with the concrete countertops and all have loved them!
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't have one but I did tell DH when we redo the kitchen I want to do a concrete counter top.....
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• thank you for all responses. I wish I could see pictures of anyones counter if they have one. Something in a real house. Not in a model home where no one actually lives in it and uses it.
    smilinangel

Answer by smilinangel at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009