How do you get a picky eater to try new things?

My daughter will not try anything different. i tried telling her it was something that she ate that looks like it but it don't always work. like i told her kabosa was just a really big hot dog.

sexymomma2k

Asked by sexymomma2k at 8:43 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL about the Kalbasa! I tried that too. I have 3 boys, but it's my oldest who is the picky one. He would live on chicken nuggest, mac&cheese, French Fries and apple juice if i let him. I just keep offering him different foods many,many times. It worked with some foods but not with others yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Avoid using the word "try". I'd just put it on their plate and expect them to eat it. Don't make a big deal about it, don't offer substitutes, and don't hold dessert hostage--that is, if you plan on serving dessert, don't tell them they won't get it for not eating something. It makes the dessert a prize (which it is) and they will only focus on getting it and make it thier aim. (then you have two fights on your hands!)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This is probably bad parenting on my part but my son was the same way so to get him to try new things I would tell him if he ate it I would let him stay up 30 minutes later and he would eat it to stay up, most of the time he loved whatever it was that I cooked. Now he really doesn't give me a hard time about any foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have a picky eater too he would live off hotdogs chicken nuggets an steak! But he now have him finally eating other meat like pork chops an roast beef i told him it was steak so he ate it an loved it he now knows that they are not steak!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• we let him feed it to us.. and make it SUCH a big deal that it is yummy and makes puor tummys happy and then offer him a bite.. usually he ends up taking it and liking it...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• At this age, you TELL them they have to take at least one bite. No ifs, ands or buts..one bite at least. They also need to learn that it's impolite to act like that when out somewhere else and they should at least take a "no thank you" bite.

Once they take the required number of bites, then they can get down from the table.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You girls really have some good creative ideas. (i.e.-letting him feed you)
    I never gave my girls options. We had for dinner what was on the plate and that was it...no substitutions. I will say they didn't always eat every single thing, like, my youngest didn't like broccoli-EVER,LoL but...other than that, today they are more versatile than ever with foods and are always open to atleast trying new things.
    On the other hand, I have a stepson (13yrs)who visits every other wkend and has been raised on frozen & microwavable foods all his life(i.e.-chicken nuggets, hot pockets, pizza etc) He sat down at our table the first time and didn't know what a pot roast was because he was not used to home made foods. Getting him to try new things was tough. He's a creature of habit and if it's new or different than what he is used to then...he's uncomfortable. We just have to do a lot of convincing him to atleast TRY IT.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I tell them that I am not a short order cook and I won't cook something else for them eat. Sometimes if I'm cooking something really funky or out-there, I'll fix something different for them -- but most times, they eat what we eat.

Also, we have taught our kids to take one "no thank you" bite. That way they at least try one bite before turning their noses up. It's amazing the things that they decide aren't so bad after all . . .
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think it depends on the age of the child as to how you handle it. My oldest would eat anything, calamari, vinaigrette dressing, you name it, she ate it. She dislikes about 3 foods now, but a few more when my exhubby cooks. lol My little one, 21mo, will eat almost anything. If she isn't in the mood for it, I just put it aside for about 30 mins. and ask her if she is hungry, then she will eat it. :) My niece is 5, and she is required to take "Thank You" bites of any food she decides she doesn't like. She has to try it that way, instead of the "I don't like it" declaration without even knowing what it is. If your child is old enough, impose a set amount they have to eat if they don't like it maybe. 3 bites, 5 bites, 1 bite to say thank you to the person that made it, whatever. :) Just don't make it a battle. I still choke on foods I hated when I was little, and forced to finish, to this day.
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 12:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2009