Should I be going back to school too?

The other day I was talking to my four yr old about perseverance and she through it in my face that I never finished school. And I dont want my children to see me as a hypocrite, but I honestly I cant handle being a mom an employee and a student.

Tishanti

Asked by Tishanti at 8:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in

• You can always go back to school. If the time is not right at this point wait until it is.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 8:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Sassy little thing huh? You should go back to school to learn how to parent. Why does a 4 yr old even know you never finished school? If you want your kids to take your advice I suggest you don't spill your life to them. If she threw that back at you wait till she is a teen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• anon, come on! Thats a bit harsh. SHe might need to learn parenting, but you need to learn some tact.

OP....If you have a child throwing things in your face or holding things over your head, then you need to deal with that disrespect. She might catch on that you didnt finish school, but its a bit early in her life to be telling her your faults. You have every right to teach her perseverance and its your job to do so REGARDLESS of what you have or havent done. Let her know that you didnt persevere and now you regret it and you dont want her to do the same thing. Our kids can learn from our mistakes, age appropriately of course. My teenager tried this line on me back last fall when she got into some trouble. I told her that I had bad behavior as a teen in a previous conversation so she used it as an opportunity to tell me how I couldnt punish her for it because I did it. I disagree and she was punished severely.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• To your original question.....Only if you feel you need to. What your kids think of you shouldnt be a reason to do something. YOU have to want to do it. If you dont have your GED, then I would suggest you try to obtain that. It doesnt have to be right now though. I know you work to provide, but surely you can do a little bit of studying here and there. If youre talking about college, then only if you want to further your career. If you like your job, then no. I dont have a college degree and I dont feel like I need one. I have no desire to be in the corporate world or work for anyone. I am my own boss. I run my own business and learning about business, and money doenst come from college. I get on the job training and my dad is a huge help. Hes been running a business for years...as long as Ive been alive..LOL. Im also a mother and I enjoy that job too. Just do whats in your heart and dont let your child know everything.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'm sure anon 8:11's kids are perfect little angels. Anyway, I agree with momofsaee. A four year old really isn't old enough to understand choices that we have made. I would just tell her that you will talk to her about that when she's older, but you would still like her to work hard and keep making good choices so she can do the things she really wants to do when she's older.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 8:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Check with your HR department and see if they offer tuition reimbursement. Next, contact your local community college; the cost will be low, many classes will be available online and the credits will easily transfer to a university. You should also look into scholarships; check with the school financial aid office and www.fastweb.com

Start with one class, and see how things go. Remember that for every credit hour, you need to budget three hours a week to study; so a 3 hour class will require an average of 9 hours a week of studing/homework time.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree it isn't something she needs to know right now. However, most places these days want you to at least have your GED.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2009