How can i get my almost 5 year old to take a bath without given my problems about doing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why not try a shower? Is this a new aversion to bathing or have they always hated baths?
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would say if your 5 year old isnt listening to you about things by now theres a big problem with parenting. You cant just let your kids walk all over you and let them do what they want. When you want him to take a shower or a bath, dont give him the option if he wants to or not. Just get and there and say look your going to take a shower/bath and if you dont im going to spank your bottom. It only takes one time for my kids to listen to me and do what i say. I have only had to spank them one time and they have listened since. Good luck !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Ok ive tired showers but hes not aloud to get his ears wet! An to anon 9:33 there is nothing wrong with my parenting this is something new he has started he listen to everything else i say except for bathing he gets so envoled in playing that he just doesnt want to take one when i tell him to!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son didn't like to take a bath either than I found this stuff called Calgon, take me away! It says it's a spa bath. Anyways we get the ocean breeze one and it turns the water blue so I tell him he taking a bath in the ocean. He loves it, ever since we found this he never fights with me bc he loves the swimming in the ocean...lol. It's pretty cheap like a dollar or two at walmart. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Anon you are a coward.
    As far as the question, does he special bath toys enjoys and bubbles or fizzes? The shower could be a great idea. Also try different water levels, he may want more a swimming pool effect or more of a puddle. A soap that is thick enough to "write" on himself and the walls, this might be a fun, clean way to get creative and satisfy those wall writing urges. My 4 year old really loves the swimming effect, the bath toys and especially the writable soap, she even enjoys cleaning it of.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Ive tired the fizzes an bubbles an the bath tub crayons but he breaks out with a really bad rash when he uses them so i try to stay clear of them! He have really senitive skin just like me lol! Ive done the different water levels an he does like alot of water but he still doesnt want to get in! He used to have favorite bath tub toy it was the big blow up whale but it poped an i havent been able to find another one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• do what i do...i used to have the same problem with my 6yo....but then i started denying her toys UNTIL she was done washing up....once she was done then she could have her toys...and i would give her an extra ten minutes then pull the plug....when the water was gone she would get out on her own with no fuss cause it would start to get cold in there....it works BEAUTIFULLY!!!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Are you expecting this 4 yr old to just go take a bath independently without your help or are you saying hes resisting when you try to get him into the tub? Hes a bit young just just go take a bath when you say so. Not that hes too young to obey, but at this age, his baths should be monitored. You take him into the bathroom, let him do the undressing, you run the water and then do the washing and then give him time to play. Ive had my kids resist bath time, but Ive never sent them in there without me under age 5 or 6. Just like getting a toddler to clean up their room, you have to guide them, stand over them and follow through until its done. If hes just resisting your direction to the bathroom, then stop what youre doing, pick him up, and firmly let him know that its time to take a bath and he doesnt get a choice. Make sure you have the time to devote to seeing it through though or hes going to see what he can get away with.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have this problem sometimes and then realized I can't announce it's bath time, it has to be their idea. My husband tricks them when I say it's bath time and they say noooo, my husband says "you better not go get in my bathtub" and they start running to the tub and it's game on from there. Bath time is half get clean time and half play time. We have cool johnson and johnsons soap that comes with the green easy to hold scrubber on the outside of the soap so they can wash themselves without the soap becoming slippery. We have the same problems with putting jammies on. I tell them you better hurry and get your jammies on before daddy tries to put them on. Then my husband says "Are my boys putting my jammies on"?, which makes them giggle and get them on in a hurry. I can't trick them into anything, it's a daddy thing in our house.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I tell them if they don't take a bath then everyone will make fun of them because they are stinky. I say no one wants to smell your stinky toe cheese, now lets go get clean stinky. When they get out I praise how clean they smell and make sure we can't smell anymore stinky toe cheese.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2009