Question regarding government oversight, PA and Corporate Welfare

I have heard on here that a lot of people want more oversight on welfare. However, they also say they are against government oversight in general. So does less "government" only apply to "big business" and the wealthy or does it apply to individuals, too?

To me the whole idea seems hypocritical. We can trust big business to behave ethically without oversight, but we cannot expect individuals to behave ethically without the government telling them how to.

In other words we can trust a business with billions of dollars in government grants, but cannot trust a person with at the most a couple of thousand dollars a month in public assistance.

I really wish someone would explain this one to me so that it makes since.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Increased oversight to those who are getting hand outs. Corporations should not be getting handouts in the first place - tax breaks or incentives are one thing, bailouts are an entirely different matter. There should be no business bailouts, there should be no auditing of businesses to determine if they are "worthy" of bailouts, but if someone is stupid enough to bailout a business, then they do need to make sure the money isn't going towards corporate jets.
    For private citizens, anyone who's income is coming from PA should be required to meet certain standards. Those standards should include not buying or selling controlled substances, working under the table for cash unreported, lying about how many people (incomes) live with you, selling food stamps for meth money, lying around watching Springer while the kids run feral in the neighborhood, then saying you can't work because of the kids that are never home.
    -cont'd-
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:34 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• They should be making sure that those on PA are either working, going to school, or have a legitimate health issue.

It comes down to this - if you're getting government assistance, the government should be making sure the money is spent wisely, but ultimately, the best case scenario is for nobody to receive it - corporate or individual.  That will probably never happen, but it should be everyone's goal.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Government oversight in regards to the FREE MARKET.... Are you familar with the FREE MARKET? Public Assistance is NOT the free market. lol

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• if you're getting government assistance, the government should be making sure the money is spent wisely

Exactly. If you are getting GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE? you are NOT participating in the FREE MARKET. You are DEPENDENT on the Government. Our tax money, therefore there should be strict oversight to prevent waste in EVERY Government program involving taxpayers money.  The problem is that the level of oversight is 'relative' to the people in control.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

So as long as the business can lay off thousands of people, because they misused their money. We should treat the people their actions affected like they are criminals and are only out to abuse the system. Sorry that is very backwards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• So as long as the business can lay off thousands of people, because they misused their money.

Key word there is "their". Not your money, not the government's money, their own money. If they did anything criminal they are liable. If they made a product nobody wants or can afford anymore, you can't penalize them any more than you should be penalized if you are laid off and can't afford to pay the neighbor kid to mow your lawn anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• * NotPanicking

Thank you for your answer. However, I notice that the government already has a system for checking up on people to make sure they are not abusing it. I have a friend who just applied for assistance and housing. You would not believe they hoops they made her jump through. Those hoops, craziness and stress she had to go through are what prompted me to write my question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

If you dont like it, don't work for them. Get a Government job. No one is MAKING you work in 'corporate america'.  Would you want government control in ALL aspects of American's lives?  That my friend is I believe, Communisim. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Start your own business and guarantee everyone a JOB no matter what decisions you make (poor or perfect) with your company.

Become a Teacher

Become a Librarian

These are all options for you to avoid dealing with the private sectors money and control. Good Luck with all you do!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You know I think I had less government oversight when I was in the Navy than what my friend who just applied for assistance went through. She had to provide report cards for her kids, shot records, bank account information, a letter from the employer who laid her off, info on her unemployment benefits, car registration, birth certificates and social security cards for everyone, a letter from her current landlord, credit reports. It was crazy everything she had to go through.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2009