Does all dogs drag their bottom on the carpet?

I am getting a yorkie puppy. I wanted to know that before I get one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Yes at one time or another...it's how they empty their glands if you don't have them emptied or they don't empty during a bowel movement.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My sister has a Yorkie and he never did it. I don't know is it cuz my parents dose not have carpet in her house or what.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• No, not all dogs do this. I have a Shih Tzu that is over 4yrs old, and he's never done it. Dogs that drag their butts across the floor will do it for one of two reasons: either its anal glands need cleaned, or it has worms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Little dogs have a habit of doing this more than bigger one, it can be a sign of worms or they have glands that need to be cleaned. I would tell you that take the dog to a professional groomer every couple of months to have it done, it is disgusting! As long as you get proper vet care, worms should not be an issue, but you have to understand everyone's butt itches sometimes LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I worked in a grooming salon as a groomers assistant for almost a year and I just wanted to clarify, squeezing anal glands is disgusting! But it does help and it's not hard! But I would take the dog to a professional because if its done wrong, it can be harmful!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• my dogs don't but we surpress the anals glands when they get their nails clipped. Well I don't I pay someone to do it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Alot of times it means they need their anal glands cleaned.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2009