4 year old not wanting to eat

So about a week ago my 4 year old son had a sudden drop in how much he eats. He only gets 2 snacks throughout the day, so I know this is not the cause. I make his food and serve it to him, he has been taking like 2 or 3 bites and then taking his plate to the kitchen stating, " I am not very hungry." I know that he won't starve himself and that he will eat what he needs to but I am worried that he isn't getting everything he needs. I know that children go through spurts where they eat a lot or barely enough. I have tried cutting the portion size down so that there isn't too much food in front of him. My main worry is that there might be something serious affecting his appetite. Should I give another week and monitor how he is eating, or just consider it "a stage" Is it to early to have it checked out by his pediatrician? He starts school next week so I want to be sure he is eating enough.

My2BoyznMe0508

Asked by My2BoyznMe0508 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i dont like pediasure...its like handing a kid a milkshake instead of teaching them to eat whats given to them...its good for kids that have serious weight conditions and cant gain weight...but to give it to them just cause they dont eat isnt right...
    your child knows when he is hungry or not...my kids would do this when they were almost done with a growth spurt...just ride it out...as long as he is eating something,and getting plenty of liquids, then just make sure he takes a daily vitamin...he will be just fine!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You can ask the doc and start giving pediasure to fill in what he isn't getting from food.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• He may be anxious about going to school....sometimes lifestyle changes can cause change in appetite. I am sure you could call his pediatrician and leave a message with the nurses and they will call you back and determine if it is worth going in for.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it at all. He absolutely won't starve himself.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 9:55 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My children do that every once in a while, but I started making fruit smoothies (frozen strawberries and blackberries, bananas, kale (made into ice cubes), yogurt, flax seed, 100% juice, and wheat germ) when my first was 2 so I wasn't worried.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Almost all kids go through a stage like this. If he isn't dropping weight then don't worry about it. It is very rare that a normal healthy kid needs pediassure. There is too many calories and too much fat in those. Make sure he is getting enough liquid so he isn't dehydrated. Give him a multivitamin for a little insurance. And this will pass. Probably when he starts school. More activity more eating.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Only 2 snacks a day? How many do most kids get? My kids get 1 snack on SOME DAYS. I'd cut out snacks entirely if he's not eating his dinner, especially if his snacks are "snacky foods", not real foods, like fruit, etc.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• A child should be eating 5-6 times a day, but smaller portions. Actually, everyone should be eating 5-6 mini meals a day. I wouldn't worry about his eating habits, kids go through phases and his body will take the nutrients he needs from what he eats. My son's doc had me give my son Pediasure or KidEssentials 1-2 times a day as a supplement while he was going through his phases. It helped. Make sure he stays hydrated and he should be just fine. If it continues for more than a few more weeks, just talk to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009