Need help finding out why my daughter keeps getting stomachaches at night!!!

My five year old daughter keeps on waking up at night with stomachache and I have no idea why. She is not eating anything different and it is starting to worry me. She is fine during the day but at night she wakes up crying saying that her stomach is hurting. Does anyone have any ideas? And before you ask I took her to the doctor and they told me at first that it was a UTI and then that it was just nerves because she was getting ready to start kindergarten....has anyone gone through this and what did you do? Please help me.

Tamarock

Asked by Tamarock at 9:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Check her lead levels.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My step-daughter is doing the same thing. When we went to the Dr. we were told it was a virus going around. I'm not sure. Give her lots of attention and comfort her by telling her everything's going to be okay & maybe it will help a little.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• it could also be acid problems...make sure she doesnt drink after seven and put an extra pillow on her bed so she isnt laying flat and see if this helps....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i say you get a 2nd opinion and see what another doctor says because how could a little girl be in that much pain just from nerves?
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 10:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• this sound weird but breathing in mold could also cause tummy aches. make sure her room has no mold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Nightmares may the the cause --checking her lead exposure is a good idea, though.

When little kids wake in the night from a nightmare, stomach-clenching dread may be what wakes them --rather than screaming or crying. If they don't know how to let go of the stress of a dream, the cramps just stay and further freak them out.

Helping her to breathe deeply, particularly exhaling all the way, will help her body settle back down after the shock of the nightmare and soon enough she'll learn to do it on her own.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• *how long has this been going on?

*Does it happen every night ?

*have you tried a warm compress to her belly for comfort and to ease pain?

*How are her bowel movements?

* are they regular ?

*are they soft and form an "S" shape in the toilet?

*or are they hard and a bunch of little balls...if the latter she needs something to make her stools softer.

*Could it be gas?

*have you tried gas-x or something like that?

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009