Where to start with faith?

I wasn't raised with the church. My ex-husband didn't want to go, so we didn't. At this point in my life, I would like to start going. My SO is a member of a church and wants me to attend, but when I do, I always have so many questions and doubts. (like how could Jonas survive inside of a whale for 3 days?) Sometimes I think that stuff is a bunch of hooey! Sometimes I tell my SO this is like trying to get an adult to believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. Please...I really want to try to bring faith into my life but I can't get past the doubt. Help!

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 9:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• don't lean on your own understanding, but by the word of God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yeah, Im not sure how the whole Jonas story works. I suggest joining a Bible study. It helps a bunch to understand it and there's always other people there who you could talk to about it.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Start reading the book of John in the New Testament. Also, I read somewhere once that it is scientifically possible for a human to survive in the belly of a whale for three days but I don't remember where.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 10:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• How can I lean on the word of God if I don't understand it????
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 10:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• study slowly, ask questions when you have them..seek 'seasoned' readers/believers/etc as helpers..just like anything you'd study to learn about. read, and re-read. there's no fast-track course to knowing it all. even old people, who have studied/lived their entire life by a faith will tell you they still learn. get answers from everyone, as different people have different perspectives. doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong, but it will cause you to want to seek your own perspective on a subject.
    also, if you are xtian, or believe in God at all, you could pray and ask for wisdom and understanding.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:15 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• First you need to make a relationship with Jesus Christ and ask him to show you what you need to do... You have to remember to have faith :) Hebrews 11 1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. and also i agree with thehairnazi

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I personally do not believe everything that the Bible says. It has been written and changed by man to many times. However, if you look at ALL forms of religion there are certain moral and ethical concepts that are the same. I do not consider myself religious, but faithful. I also get a lot of flack for taking that stance from the very people who are trying to convert me to their way of thinking. Be strong, know you love God and if church isn't your thing do not let someone convince you otherwise or make you feel that you do not love God.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Baby steps, LOL.
    First, go ahead and go with SO, if you want. If you don't like that church, keep going until you find one you DO like! Ask your SO if they would be interested in visiting other churches with you so you can find one that fits both your needs.
    There are Christians every day that struggle with some of the bible stories - some of them really are outlandish, but that's where faith comes in - ANYTHING can happen where God is involved. God has no limitations to what he can do. If he wants you to live three days in a fish, you're going to live three days in a fish. If he want's a burning bush to talk, a burning bush is going to talk. It doesn't always make sense to us, but that's just the way God works.
    And - pray. Above all else, God wants a relationship with YOU. He sent His son to die for YOU. Just talk to him - I do it all the time. "God . . . this doesn't make sense!" Sometimes He shows me . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• . . . meaning, sometimes He doesn't. But the point is, He's always listening. And if you love him, and accept Jesus and love them with all your heart, well . . . the rest will fall into place.

It won't all come at once - focus on the relationship first. The "knowledge" and "understanding" will come eventually!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't know what denomination of church you are attending, but you might want to purchase a really good study bible to help you understand better. I'm Catholic, so I use both a Catholic Study Bible (New American Bible translation), and a Revised Standard Version "Ecumenical" study bible. Best wishes ~
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 11:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009