Is it ok to always let my 11 month old nurse to sleep at night time?

After I wean her how will I get her to sleep then? Have any moms weaned their child after 12 months then put them to sleep with a sippy cup of whole milk? What worked for you to get your child to sleep after weaning? I have always nursed her to sleep. She cosleeps too. Will it be harder to cosleep when not nursing?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it will be rough for a couple of days. she'll probably cry but she'll be ok. i weaned my son when he was 11 months and he slept with me as well. I rocked him to sleep without nursing him. He was crying profusely for the first couple of nights. then my boobs got engorged, so on the 3rd night, i fed him for a few minutes until my boobs were relieved. oddly enough, my boobs never filled back up and he never tried to nurse again.
    atlshine

Answer by atlshine at 10:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Trust me baby will adjust after weaning. Find another soothing routine. Never send them to bed with a sippy cup. Give the sippy first then go to bed. Each of my children was different as to what worked after weaning. So try various things such as a warm bath, a bedtime story, or just cuddling. My kids were co-sleepers too and once completely weaned it's fine. My youngest put his hand down my shirt during the weaning. Once he was asleep I moved it out and went to bed. For now you're fine. When you're ready to stop nursing I think you'll be surprised at how easy the process actually is. A day or two of crying was about it for me. Just be strong and don't give in when the time comes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Give her something to soothe her like a favorite stuffed animal or blanket. Never put you child to sleep with a bottle or sippy cup. Thats what causes there teeth to rot because the milk just sits in there mouth. Also try a routine. My daughter has a very strict routine and without her routine every night she wont go to sleep. For instance I give her a bath every night weather she's dirty or not and it always makes her so tired that by the time I put her in her crib she falls asleep without no problems. It will probably be very difficult the first couple days and you'll want to give in but stay strong.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• With my son I had to have daddy do the night time stuff while we weaned because he wanted NOTHING to do with any thing but breastfeeding when he was tired. It took a long time to break this habit of comfort nursing.... probably 2 months before he stopped wanting to nurse if I was holding him.
    He still takes a bottle before bed for comfort and we are working on changing his routine so we break that habit (his cousin is 3 years old and STLL gets a sippy of milk before bed)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• When my son is nursing and super sleepy I quickly and swiftly exchange the breast/bottle for a pacifier. He may awaken slightly, but then sucks his way into dream land.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009