When is it a good time to tell my son that I am pregnant.

I am a single mom to a 8yr old boy with adhd. He is an only child on my side. And has a little half brother on his dad's side. He didnt meet his dad till he was 5 and with in that year he had a little brother. He loves his brother very much. and is great with little kids. We have a 9 month old niece who lives with us. I am just trying to take his feelings into consideration . and with school starting back up i want to make sure i dont upset him to much with this news. and have him start acting out .

kjsmommy31701

Asked by kjsmommy31701 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you are experiencing morning sickness or other pregnancy issues that might lead him to believe there is something wrong with you then you need to tell him very soon so he won't be worrying about you being gravely ill. If lots of people already know and might spill the beans to him accidentally, then you need to tell him before that can happen. If you are having and easy pregnancy and keeping it quiet, then you can wait until 3 or 4 months. Whatever you do make sure he hears it first from you and also make sure he isn't worrying about you being very ill. Also, choose your timing - this is not news to be dropped on the way to school one morning! It sounds like he is good with younger children, so he will probably do very well with the news. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You tell him when you feel safe telling him. I know some women wait until they're past 12 weeks. I really don't think anything with his dad or his cousin have anything to do with it. He's an 8 year old boy. You tell him when you want him to know. That's all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think that you tell him that you have some very exciting news. that he is going to be a big brother in ____. You tell him how excited you are that he is going to be a big brother how happy you are that you will have him there to help you. As you progress further into the pregnancy he can do things like help you pick a theme for the room. Help narrow down names. Make it an exciting time for both of you. Make sure he still gets lot's of love and attention. My favorite thing that I was ever told to tell my son was that when a mom's tummy grows her heart grows to so that there is enough room for her to love all of her children lot's and lot's. I am sure you can find a lot of age appropriate boks at the library a well.  I know there is a what to expect when mommy is expecting book that is supposed to be good.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My youngest was born when my son was 8 - we told him when I was 3 months and it turned out to be a good time. He understood why I was tired and I was able to start setting up the baby's room. We bought a new house with an extra bedroom and he wanted to know what was going to be in there, so it just turned out to be a good time. I also took he and his then 7 year old sister to the 4D ultrasound (not the one where we found out the sex, this was an "extra" one I had done just for he and his sister) - they thought that was really cool that they got out of school and could see the baby "through" my tummy.

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My oldest DD & my DS are 8 years apart. I told DD I was pregnant when I was about 6 weeks along. The family all knew about it so we told her so no one else would let it slip. In hindsight, I wish I would have waited long, just in case, but it turned out fine.

One tip I would add, get a calendar & show your son about when baby will be born. I can still remember my mom telling me how her mom told her (at age 7) that my mom was going to have a new sibling but didn't tell her when. The months went by & one day my Mom broke down crying & accused grandma of telling a lie b/c there wasn't a new baby in the house!! Time means something different to a child so make sure they understand that it isn't going to happen tomorrow, it will be months (liken it to waiting for Christmas). Congrats!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009