My toddler refuses to wear socks??

My son is 21 months old. He always has these odd little quirks because he is autistic. The newest one has really got me puzzled. I bought him a brand new pair of shoes yesterday so he could wear something other than his sandals that are not in the best shape. So I put on sock on him....then he screams like I'm hurting him. I put the other sock on him...same thing only much louder and much more flinging his arms and legs around. I left them on him for a little bit hoping he would calm down...but he only got worse and worse and worse. I even tried putting his new "big boy" shoes on with them. But, that didn't work. I guess we are stuck with his sandals. His therapist said some autistic kids at the feeling of the seam in the sock. I don't know of a seamless sock and before too long it's going to start getting cool out and he's going to have to put away his sandals. Help!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make a game of it.....let him play with the socks for a while...even put them on your hands and pretend they are a puppet...then let him try it on his hands...once he is comfortable with that put them on his feet and teach him to wiggle his toes to make them "talk" like a puppet....do this very gradually.......it might take a long while but it could help to desensitize him!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Some autistic children have a hightened sense of touch. The feeling of the socks may "hurt" to him. Like mentioned above, gradually try to get him to try them on. You may need to try different brands until you find one he can tolerate.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If it's the seam and you can't find seamless, put them on inside out. Idk it might help , anyway no one will know besides you...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'm not autistic, but I hate the seems in socks. I have to pull them on right tight at the toe and move the edges around so they don't bother me as much. Not much helps with that. Have you tried letting him pick out some socks. Maybe a special character or a certain softness? That might help. It's also possible he just wants to sandles and is screaming because he knows you are not putting the sandle on if you put the sock on. Try putting his sandle on over the sock to see if having his fav shoe on calms him down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't know much about autism, other than really what I have read on cafe mom...
    But, I will say that every change of season, it takes my son a little while to get used to long sleeves or pants again. After a day, he is fine...I think because they haven't worn socks all summer (at least mine hasn't!) it feels different and I would imagine with autism, that sensation could be higher. I hope after a couple days and doing some of the tips the other moms mentioned will help! Good lucK!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Our daycare teacher said some kids have sensory issues. My son hates to have his feet touched or toes touched also! She told me about turning the socks inside out also cause its seems to be common.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Here is a site that sells seamless socks for kids.

I would say to that this may just be one of those battles that you may just loose.  My friends son is PDD-NOS and he Would not wear socks for a long time.  She got him some of the 'fur' lined crocs for the winter.  Also you may be able to talk to his therapist if he has one.  she may be able to integrate solving this issue into her sessions.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• May sound silly but first try socks that aren't very snug fitting. LIke ones that are too big maybe, so they don't feel tight or "hurt" him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• maybe put the socks on inside out so he cant feel the seams, i do that with some of mine, i can relate that it feels aweful to have it rubbing your foot all day. another idea i had was take him shopping and let him pick out sock with characters he likes, my son looooves his spiderman socks and doesnt understand that we have to wash them after he uses them and cannot wear them everyday..
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• NEW, sock.

The unfamiliar can be uncomfortable.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 12:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009