Is this true for you?

Heated partisan debate over President Obama's health care plan, erupting at town hall meetings and in the blogosphere, has more to do with our illogical thought processes than reality, sociologists are finding.

The problem: People on both sides of the political aisle often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views.

The result: A survey out this week finds voters split strongly along party lines regarding their beliefs about key parts of the plan. Example: About 91 percent of Republicans think the proposal would increase wait times for surgeries and other health services, while only 37 percent of Democrats think so.

Irrational thinking

A totally rational person would lay out - and evaluate objectively - the pros and cons of a health care overhaul before choosing to support or oppose a plan. But we humans are not so rational

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090826/sc_livescience/healthcaredebatebasedontotallackoflogic
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Hyperbole
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am thinking about it rationally and I know that requiring those that earn the least to BUY insurance or face penalty will not work in favor or the people. They still have not released estimates on how much it will cost every family to provide themselves with the public option, should their employer decide to drop coverage and force their employees on the the government option (a better term for it would be 'only option').

I am going to my Congressman's town hall meeting tonight to hear him out and find out what is being chatted up in DC. But FYI, he is a republican so I am sure you will think anything he has to say will be filled with rhetoric. I don't buy the hype on either side, I think the truth is somewhere in between. I don't support it because I don't want government in the final product of health care. Plain and simple.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Here is where I stand: Who is going to pay for it? Why is there 1000 pages of VAGUEness? Why does it have to be ObamaCare as is without considering ANY of the alternative options? Why can't we take methodical steps for abetter nation.... Why this need for a $2 trillion dollar spending spree that allows hospitals and big pharma to profit? Who are they REALLY looking out for?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Just admit it why don't you, it's a backdoor sweep to get UHC and a single payer system in this country forever. It's not a public option type of bill, or coverage who need it while leaving others alone as your Idiot in Chief would have you believe. In April of 2006 Obama was on videotape with the ACLU stating he wanted and was going to get a single payer system in the US. Again in August of 2008 he stated at a stump he wanted UHC. Why are you so continually so stupid to not understand this? Is poop completely filling your cranial cavity? You will have no choice and no public option when this bill is passed by the backdoor, Thank God Kennedy is gone with one more Democratic vote not there to be on the 60/40 advantage. THANK GOD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think there are other alternative options than to implement some system with a trillion dollar price tag. Some people don't want health care at all even if it were offered to them and others abuse their health care flooding ER and Dr's offices. What happens when the pill addicts flood dr's offices to try to obtain more prescriptions? Hypochondriacs? Self inflicted injuries? Pushing you back from getting a legit appointment?

To be honest, I have not been following the health care debates and do not know what would change with the system, but either way I don't think it's the answer. What's wrong with re-vamping the medicare and medicaid systems? Medicare and Medicaid offering a low pay program? If people feel they are better then that to have medicare and medicaid then let them pay for their own health care. If they can afford it, then no one should hold them back.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:53 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Very interesting Sweets! I agree that most people on both parties are this way as well. They make their decision first and THEN find evidence to back up why they feel this way. It is totally irrational thinking.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:55 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Since I haven't read it, I dnot' pretend to know what it would do. But the fact that Congress votes when they haven't read it. That SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Lol, probably a little. It's got nothing to do with any pundit, though. We don't keep cable and the little thingy that connects the black box to the TV is broken, and I keep forgetting to pick one up. I read.
    I just don't trust the fed that much. I don't think they belong in the healthcare business.
    I was talking to a friend from England who doesn't think that we should do UHC, but that terminally ill patients should be covered 100. And I still can't figure out how we would pay for it!

The other thing we need to address is the overuse of our healthcare systems, with or without reform, we are dangerously close to bring short doctors and services. Now logically speaking, you send a twenty million with a backache on an already taxed system and you are going to increase some wait times, right?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Ok...say the bill gets passed tomorrow and EVERYONE in the country now has access to HC. Immediately. Even if it takes a few months...... The number of Dr's and hospitals is going to stay the same for a while. There are going to be many people who are going to flood the system with minor aches and pains and sore throats ands sniffles. How could wait times NOT become longer?

I am for everyone having access to affordable HC but I think they should have to shoulder responsibility for it.  I realize that all the libs think us that oppose it are just stupid and ignorant but I KNOW there is no money for this and KNOW that a public option or whatever you want to call it doesn't fix the fundamental problems with the COST of HC.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2009