2nd c-section

what are the procedures for a 2nd-section that is elective. My doctor informed me at my 18 week appt that at about 26-28 weeks we would discuss if I wanted to have an elective c-section or just wait for my labor to start naturally. Now, I dont know the procedures for having an elective c-section...do you just check into the hospital and get prepped for surgery or do they break your water, wait for the contractions, etc..? I really prefer just waiting for my labor naturally eventhough I know I will have to have another c-section just because of the thrill factor of having the baby surprise you. On the other hand, I want to have the baby before the new year and Im due Jan. 12..any info ladies?

mzhazelrae313

Asked by mzhazelrae313 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My mom had 3 c-sections and I think if you choose the c-section they schedule it for you. I think they do it 2-3 weeks in advance (i think). I had a scheduled/emergency c-section (long story) and i just went in, they prepped me, and I had my daughter. They dont break your water or wait for contractions.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• And if you do it naturally, i doubt you'd have to have a c-section unless the baby is stuck or there is something wrong.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• an elective c-section you set a date to have it and that day you go in 2 hours before our surgery, they hook you up to the monitors give you 2 bags of iv fluid(water) then discuss whether you want a spinal or an epidural, all the docs talk to you and the nurses, then you go in and have a baby, no water being broke no need for contractions, just surgery and a baby.....thats it....i had mine 6 days ago....more painful than te first, but my new baby was also almost 4 pounds heavier than my fisrt.....so they had to cut me longer and jerk me around to get him out, but yeah....its all up to you....good luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Elective means you will just have a date and time set and be scheduled for surgery. If you go naturally they will wait till the baby is coming on its own and when you get to the hospital they will prep you for surgery. However if you are due on the 12th of January I highly doubt they will schedule you for before the new year. Most doctors only schedule 1 week before your due date, unless something happens like going into labor early...and no they will not induce that! So either way you choose you will have a 2010 baby!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• im going to be having my third c section in Jan im due Jan 10th.. They told me at my doctor that they due a c section one week before your due date...

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have had 2 c sections and one vaginal. I am now pregnant with my 4th baby and am choosing to have a Vbac. With an elective c section, you will go in to the hospital the morning of the surgery and they will get you prepped and ready to go. Usually they will not do surgery until your 39th week.
    ttcgirl110

Answer by ttcgirl110 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I had 2 c-sections. You set a date before your due date, and have a scheduled time. I liked it, especially with a little one at home. You get to plan for someone to come over and watch him. The recovery time is much faster for a second c-section.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2009