How to know which religion is right for me?

I grew up Catholic....then didn't attend church for a while. I then decided to check out a non denominational church. I am confused because in the Catholic church they believe in purgatory and spirits. but in a Christian church they say its demons posing as loved ones and any other spirit activity that goes on. and what is with the being saved? that confused me too. In the Catholic church they believe in doing good works and Christians say that won't save you. The Catholic church doesn't take everything out of the Bible. I am just very confused as to what is right? I'm not sure what to believe anymore. can someone please help me to not be so confused? thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You could make a list of everything you personally believe and then do some research and find what religion best fits your personal beliefs.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• There's a quiz on beliefnet that takes your answers and shows you how compatible you are with the different religions,
    as well, you can join different groups on here and talk to different people about religion and beliefs.
    and you can do independent research on the different faiths, and go from there.

Just remember, though, your personal relationship/beliefs is what's important, not the box or label you choose to define them. Be true to you, and it doesn't matter what you call yourself.

=)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Start here:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

The name is goofy, but the questions are legitimate and it's usually very accurate.  When you're done, it will give you a list of about 25 different religions, most of them different Christian denominations, but it includes all the other major ones as well.  They'll be ordered from 1 to 25 based on how well your personal beliefs match with those of each faith or denomination.  Answer the questions honestly - with what YOU believe, not what you think someone expects you to answer, and it will direct you.  There is no right answer.  For every Baptist saying Catholics do it wrong, there's a Catholic saying Baptists do it wrong.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree with NotPanicking. Try that test.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Hi, I asked this same thing here on cafemom. I took the beliefnet quiz and it matched me to a religion that I researched for a few months. I finally converted and have felt SO MUCH peace since!!!
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 10:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Study, study, STUDY!!
    BTW, the test is RIGHT ON.

Also there are a couple of groups here on CM that are all about learning about different religions - try one of them to talk to some women that are different faiths. It will really open your eyes!

Good luck!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Have you thought about reconsidering the Catholic Church?  Some of your confusion may be cleared up by reviewing church teachings.  As Catholics, we believe that the Word of God includes both the bible and tradition.  There is even biblical evidence for this!  PM me if you want more info, or check out these websites:

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/ 

http://www.catholic.com/

LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 11:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Wow that test is awesome. Just took it and it came up with a religion that sounds very much just like my husband and I. Thing is we would never have even looked at it as a religion for ourselves. We had been trying to fit ourselves into a Christian religion, but according to that test we have the same beliefs as Reform Judaism. When we looked it up and read more about it, it was exactly how we feel about religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was also raised Catholic and stopped attending the Church when I was 18. I have found that non-denominational Christian churches have fit into my life quite well, the big difference being the focus of your personal relationship with Christ. I don't remember as a Catholic alot of very Bible based teaching, I know we always had the 3 readings but that was it. Christians believe on faith, and not the "faith by works" concept. Being "saved" or "born-again" was also a new concept for me, I now know that it means that you have accepted Christ as your savior, and that you have invited Him into your life to have a personal relationship with Him. This was all so foreign to me too, because we did not focus on a personal relationship with Christ as Catholics. Pray about your confusion, God will lead you to the right church. My family and I are doing just that right now, we are between churches and praying to find the right one.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Feel free to talk to me about your questions. I also would LOVE to talk to you because I am interested in the catholic faith, not because I wanna join but I want to understand it :) So for bible questions ask me I might learn something new too I hope god guides you on this journey :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2009