How to get rid of spiders

OK my porch has a ton of spiders and webs i would like my kids to be able to play on the porch some of the spiders i have seen are brown widow there not as poisonous as the black widow but still i am very scared of spiders i was bit by a brown recluse spider when i was 17 and put in the hospital for 8 days and now i have a big ugly scar from it it hurt so bad and i never what me or my family to ever have to go though that again please help me

nates_wifey623

Asked by nates_wifey623 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Other than using the usual over the counter sprays and sticky traps, I would call an expert pest exterminator. Ask the company before they check out your home if they specialize or have dealt with that specific spider...if not, call another one.
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 11:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• the spiders are there because there is a food source there. most likely flying insects attracted to light. remove the light and you remove the attracted flying insects. no food source, the spiders leave on their own.
    kinda like a party ya know, when the beer and chips dries up the guests go home.
    if you have lights on in the house, shining through windows on your porch the spiders are waiting there all day for nightfall, when you turn on your lights and they shine through the windows. or your porchlight should be turned off.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes but unlike a black widow (that's reclusive and only bites if threatened ) a brown widow lives in huge colonies and are very aggressive. Spray for them, remove webs and step on the suckers.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• call an expert. keep the cobwebs at bay by sweeping the ceiling each week.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2009