How can I get my 3 year old to start eating again?

HELP! Its been almost 2 full weeks since my son ate anything. He drinks his milk and juice, but will not eat solids. He even turns away his favorites like french fries, cereal and cookies. His health is good, just visited the doctor last week and he couldn't see anything that would explain when he won't eat. He still has plenty of energy and normal diaper. Is this just a stage he's going through? Has anyone else out there experienced this with their child?

PeggySaling

Asked by PeggySaling at 10:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try not to give him as much milk. Milk is very filling. Try giving him more water instead of juice and milk. Offer him food before liquids.

I really don't know... Sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I guess it must be a phase...my almost 3 yr old is doing the same thing....she ate pretty good at dinner last night but not much at breakfast this morning....maybe they'll grow out of it...I hope..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• But he's acting normally? Like he's feeling fine? Both of my girls (3 and 1) stopped eating for about a week and when I took them in, they both had strep. Of course, they had other symptoms, like vomiting, but....I'm just saying.

When you say he won't eat ANYTHING....do you really mean ANYTHING?
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• He is eating absolutely nothing. He's fine other than that, no cough, cold or fever, no vomiting, no dirreah or drooling. Just not eating. The doctor also suggested I cut back on his milk and juice. Now he only gets one 6-8 oz. of milk three times a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and I won't give it to him until after I try to get him to eat something; two 6-8 oz. cups of juice mixed half with water between meals, and just water the remainder of the day if he is still looking for something to drink.
    PeggySaling

Answer by PeggySaling at 11:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My doctor says there are three things you can't make your kids do--eat, sleep, and poop. If he seems fine otherwise, don't push it. He'll eat when he is hungry. Just keep offering him healthy food choices.

You said he doesn't have diarrhea. Is it possible he's constipated? I know my youngest doesn't eat much when she is consitpated.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 12:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• No, not constipated either. I guess he's just being stubborn (gets that from his Daddy).
    PeggySaling

Answer by PeggySaling at 12:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Peggy- I'm about 98% sure it's the milk. My little girl is only two, but when she first started eating solids, her doctor told me to cut back on her milk intake. Also, my boyfriend's little boy is about to be 3 in December, and started refusing his dinner. We leave it in front of him at the table until we're all done eating, and then stick his plate in the fridge. We don't offer him alternatives like milk. He goes off to play with the rest of the kids, and when he's hungry, he'll come back and ask us for food. I think if you cut out his milk intake, and just not feed him anything when he doesnt eat, he'll get hungry enough to tell you when he wants food, and if he's been playing, it shouldnt be too long, haha. Don't worry, my boyfriend's son got right back on track in about a week. Try it and see if it works. Even for my 2 year old, though, the doctor said that she should only have about 16 oz of milk a day.
    BKofSpielman

Answer by BKofSpielman at 1:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Quit giving him milk...
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009