What can I do differently so my 11 month old daughter will stop getting constant diaper rashes?

In the last 2 months it seems as though she has had 4-5 diaper rashes. In the last few days she has had a rash thats re but dont have many bumps in it. it cleared up for one day then it came back yesterday. I have put an Rx Nystatin on it. When she doesn't have a rash should i be putting diaper ointment on her at every diaper change? Ive heard you can also use cornstarch too but how? Advise?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I constantly changed my daughter's diaper to prevent the rash. And used A&D ointment (the gold one) on the days she didn't have them. When she did have them, Bordeaux's Butt paste worked best on her and then Desitin. Every so often a day, I would "air dry" her. (Let her be bottomless until her skin was dry and "non-wrinkly" from the water lines.)

Also, sometimes if you switch diaper brands, your daughter might have a reaction to it.
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 11:08 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• A&D works great! My child never got a rash. I applied it at at every diaper change.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• switch diaper brands for a week. See if that helps. I put ointment on every diaper change when my son has a diaper rash. I am not sure on how to do the cornstarch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Try switching brands. It could be something in the diaper itself that she's allergic to. My baby for example can only wear Pampers brand. Anything else and he gets a rash. Dr. Smiths cream is on the pricey side, but well worth a try. Your pediatrican may be able to give you a sample of it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Cornstarch powder is avaliable and works pretty well. Apply at every change.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Make sure to change her diapers often. If I didn't change my daughters diapers enough she would always have a diaper rash. Especially after she had a bowel movemet. If I didn't change her almost immediatley she would end up with a diaper rash.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I know you have to scorch the cornstarch not sure how that is done.

I used pinxav pronounced pink salve, it works great.It is behind the counter at the pharmacy. My visiting nurse recommend it because my DS was in the Nicu and developed a rash and after a week it didn't go away. They had something prescribed for it but it didn't work. I used pinxav and it was gone the next day.

Put the ointment on after every change especially the one's he is in the longest, at night and nap.
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I use the dollsr general soft and stretch diaper brand. I do try and change her after shes peed about twice. I use the a&d ointment between using the rx cream when she has a rash. I'll try getting differnt diapers this week.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Try switching diaper brands or wipes...if there is any fragrance at all in the diapers/wipes, my daughter has issues. I use Kirkland Brand (Costco's generic) for diapers and wipes. Everytime I have to use Huggies or Pampers (particularly huggies) for whatever reason, it is instant diaper rash. Also, diet has a lot to do with it...big contributers for my daughter are strawberries, tomatos (and tomato sauces, etc.) and vinegear of all things (salad dressings, pickles, etc.). Some things that might help - YOGURT. Yogurt has good bacteria in it and can help combat diaper rash...especially ones that are yeast related. (If my daughter gets strawberries today...I'll make sure she gets a serving of yogurt too!). Finally, petroleum jelly at night is always a good thing. My daughter sleeps 11-12 hours at night....which is a long time inbetween diaper changes. If I coat her in vaseline before bed, it creates a wetness barrier.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Nystatin? Does she have a yeast infection? If yes, it will not go away w/o proper treatment, if no, you shouldn't be using nystatin. Several things may cause a rash- food allergy (either directly or through breastmilk/you ate), allergy to wipes &/or diapers, wet diapers on too long, and even strep (yes, there is a form of diaper rash that is actually strep, i've seen it, it looks like a rash but doesn't ever really go away). Keep a journal of what you use/eat/ do, see your pediatrition, and good luck! .
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 26, 2009