Positive pregnancy test - but no baby?!

About a year ago my cousin took a pregnancy test and it was pos. VERY faint but def. there. But she eventually started her period and the pregnancy never progressed. What could have happened? She didn't go to the dr either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• maybe she miscarried and didnt know it..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• the "period" could have been a miscarriage
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• could of been a chemical pregnancy!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'm in a developmental Psychology class right now and supposedly 40-60% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage with a lot of women not even realizing. They get pregnant but then miscarry right around the time they would have had a period anyway so theythink thier period just came a little early or late, never kowing they were actually pregnant. So when she had her "period" I would say almost for sure that was just a miscarriage. Early on they are no different physically than a period. I am sorry for her loss.
    shawneewaiting

Answer by shawneewaiting at 12:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Many, many pregnancies end in miscarriage early on. Since false positive tests are rare, my belief would be that she likely had an early loss in lieu of her period. Very early m/cs are similar to a period, though it's still a good idea to see your doctor if this happens. I had a natural m/c (later in the first tri- around 11 weeks) and had to have my blood levels followed to ensure there was no tissue from the pregnancy left. Though very early on that might not be necessary.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would say that it was from a miscarriage and she just didnt know it, that same thing has happened to me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009