• In the Spotlight:

I've had the same pair of glasses since 9th grade, has my vision changed that much that I should have gotten a different pair of glasses by now (im 23 now)?

How much would it be for an eye exam and to get contacts with no insurance? In NC

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Health

• I go every year. just call around. My guess is $150.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Um, yes probably. There should be places where you can get a free eye exam. Look online for a free trial pair of contact lenses. Take that to the eye place and see if they will let you have a free trial pair.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yes, you need a check up and a new prescription. Check the ads in your local Sunday paper. I don't go every year like I should, but I do go every 2 or 3 years and get 2 sets of glasses. I see lots of ads for free exams with glasses or contacts purchase, and they often also offer buy one get one free on glasses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Look in your phone book and see if an ad gives you a price for exam. We have a local place that we can get free exams then go buy the glasses somewhere else and they let you pay in 3 payments if you can't pay all at once. I noticed Walmart has glasses for as little as $9.00 for school. You can call any eye dr and ask what you can do or where you can go.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:14 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The only way to really know if your vision has changed that much is to go and get an exam. I don't go every yr like I should. I have worn glasses for so long that I've gotten to wear I notice when things are not as clear and sharp as they were, and that's when I go. Probably not the way I should do it, but it's what I do. I'd also say that if your vision had changed drastically, you would probably have noticed. How much it costs varies depending on where you live. Where I live, it's about $150 for the eye exam, and the contacts are usually about $200-300 for a 3 month supply of two week disposables. Dailies and hard lenses cost different, but I never used those so I can't tell you for sure what they are. Hope that helps a little.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I paid with out insurance for eye check at the mall it is not that much at all and you get glass at costco, walmart etc. that do not cost that much. (under $100.)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• While you probably do need a new prescription and new glasses, it is probably to your benefit that you didn't get new ones every year. You have forced your eyes to work harder and "exercise". My husband went several years without a new prescription (I just couldn't get the man to GO to the eye doctor) and his vision improved during those years. Each time you increase your prescription you encourage your eyes to be lazy and let the glasses do the work for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The eye dr. told me once you are in your 30's you dont need an eye exam every year unless you just want new glasses. Before that you should though. But once you hit your 30's your script wont change much from year to year to justify the expense.
    And FYI, glasses do NOT change anything within your eye to cause you not to see good like someone suggested. Its structural changes in your eye that causes you to need glasses...its where the light hits the back of your eye. You can easily look this up on the internet.
    Anyway, you can get eye exams for as little as $40 at places like Eye Masters or Wal Mart. Then its up to you how much you want to spend on the glasses themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I went to the eye doc here recently and i havent been for 4 years and he said your eyes mature every so often (or change) like between 5-9years of age they change and during your teenage years they change very rapidly I guess b/c goin through them changes or whatever and then again at like 19-21 and then they slow down the cycle or whatever they call it and don't change very much after 21 or they dont change as often i guess b/c your getting old if thats what you wanna call it lol but i think my eyes change from like -3.75 and -3.25 to exactly -3.50 in both eyes, but it is safe to go every year, I had got to the point where it was hard to see road signs and apparently my eyes had changed alot from the way he reacted when i could see them darn letters and numbers they wanted me to say. But idk much bout eyes I'm just letting you know what they told ma and i hope it helps ya.
    ProudmomNwife07

Answer by ProudmomNwife07 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009