how do i make my son stop biteing...

ok so my sons a yr old now.. yay! and hes a biter. and a nagger too but the biteing part sux. he does it when he plays so i know hes not intentionally biteing to hurt anymore. but the shit still hurts ya know. lol he does this sneek up on you thing and he bites ur toes or feets. and then he laughs cuz he finds it funny. but i dont need it turning into somthing he does to hurt ppl when he doesnt get his way. i would just really like him to stop biteing. any suggestions?

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 11:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bite him back. Once he fids out how it feels he should stop doing it. Mine did.

Answer by louise2 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• mine too
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• saw this article... http://babyparenting.about.com/od/discipline/a/stopbiting.htm

maybe be very firm with him when he bites to let him know you are serious and that is not something he is suppose to do.

good luck. I think my friends sons did this and once he started daycare and stopped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• "finds" I meant

Answer by louise2 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• pop him in the mouth everytime he bites. Not hard but enought to make him realize it doesnt feel very good. It made my daughter stop biting really fast..
    blondiemaker07

Answer by blondiemaker07 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The nagging, tell him you can't understand him and then play stupid. Eventually he will get the point and stop, it worked with both of my girls. In the first few weeks of breast feeding both of my girls tried bitting, my oldest I had to flick in the forehead (tried everything else), my youngest I told her no and she stopped. I would try something similar, i.e. if he bites immediately go put him in time out for a minute and tell him no bitting. If he hates being left in the time out then he will stop bitting. Both my kids hate time out especially at that age.
    Good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I wish the mommy or daddy of the child who keeps biting my child at daycare would care enough to post for help with that. I just don't think they care. AGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.. Frustrating! And also frustrated that they won't tell me which one it is or ever attempt to keep my child and their child separate. I asked if my child was antagonizing (asking for it) but they say no, some children just do that. Sorry, I had to VENT! Good luck on your quest for information. Thank you for wanting to be knowledgeable!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have two little sisters and when the younger one was born the older one got jealous and started biting her my mom started off by telling her how much it hurt and showing her the teeth marks she left. When that didn't work she started getting put in time out...that worked for a little while then the last time she ever bit her she drew blood on top of the younger sisters head...my mom took her hand and bit her hand till she started crying once she started crying my mom stopped and then walked away until she stopped crying. When she stopped crying my mom came back and explained to her that is how her sister felt everytime she bit her.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 5:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Never bite them back. Not only is that the completely wrong thing to do, but it actually could reinforce this behaviour.
    Plus, are you really going to stoop to a baby level? That's exactly what he is. Before he started biting, did you ever sit him down and explain in detail how biting is wrong and bad and hurts? I bet not, no one does. So how is he supposed to understand that it is wrong and bad and hurts? Do it back to him? Then why is he getting in trouble for doing it but you are doing it?
    Biting is a natural stage, and a primitive behaviour. Mammals have claws and teeth and young mammals use these as defenses or when they need something. A firm "No biting!" and removing yourself or him from what ever the situation is (Nursing, cuddling, sitting on lap, sit him on the floor across the room to isolate him)
    He is still too young for an explanation, but your gestures will indicate to him that you are not pleased)
    sunnysoleil

Answer by sunnysoleil at 8:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Sorry ran out of characters, an example is a puppy or kitten. When they start the "biting" stage, do you bite them back? No. There are people out there who will smack them, but trainers, vets and breeders agree this can actually cause aggressive behaviour, rebellion, and a scorned pup or kit. The only type of behaviour we should be "doing back" to our children is affection. Now don't think I'm some Mary Poppins here, my 8 going on 16 year old and I can really but heads (not in the literal sense lol), and I have spanked a bum here or there, but my children respect me more and feel more secure when I don't hurt them.
    sunnysoleil

Answer by sunnysoleil at 8:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009