How can I tell if my 8mos old caughter my Strep Throat?

I'm going to the dr. this afternoon for my strep, because I'm at the point where I can almost not swallow now. I know I've had it for at least 4 or 5 days.

How can I tell if my 8mos old has caught it? I was going to drop her off at her great-grandma's while I went to the doctor, because Urgent Care won't take children. Should I call her pedi for a check-up just in case?

She hasn't been running a fever (but neither have I) and she's not acting sick, just a little crankier than usual. I can't look at her throat because she won't let my put my fingers in her mouth...

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 11:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if she has trouble drinking thats one sign...her cry will sound hoarse, or she will be unusually fussy....any of these signs tend to lean towards sore throat or strep....if your worried of course call the ped....but in the meantime try not to kiss her face or head, and clean your hands often!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If she is crying when she drinks or refuses to drink then you know she has it. But unless you to have swapped saliva or drank from the same cup she is most likely safe. I used to get this yearly or more.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My daughters doctor told me that babies under 2 years of age cant get strep.
    Emiliasmommy09

Answer by Emiliasmommy09 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Your doctor is wrong Emilias, my son had it when he was 18 mos. And you will know. They are so sick. Not like adults, they are lethargic and crying and feverish. It is pretty bad. Good luck, I hope you feel better. And I would take the baby in just to be safe. Untreated strep is not good for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009