• In the Spotlight:

What do you think about forward facing carseats?

My daughter will be two next month and at ll months she was forward facing in the car seat. Please no bashing but what are your thoughts?

blondiemaker07

Asked by blondiemaker07 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• depends on the weight and height of your child...i dont go by age at all...the reason being is i have VERY tall kids! they outgrew a infant carrier quickly because of this....go by what the manufacturer says on the infant car seat or by what your ped says....most carriers are infants 5 to 30 lbs. and up to 32 inches height. my 6yo is big enough now to be out of a booster seat, but i still keep her in it as long as she fits!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i think you made a poor decission, but thankfully your child is still safe.. carseats have recomndations for a reason, to keep children as safe as possible.... you cant undo what you did but you can look into keeping her in a harness for a long time then a booster..

my ds is 3 and still harnessed, he will be until age 5.... my 1 year old is still rear facing and will be until he out grows his seat... 35lbs... then harnessed until 5... they make a TON of seats one for every size child and every budget..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My DD is 20 months. She just now hit the 20 pound mark. We turned her around at 19 (17 months) pounds though. She was frustrated by being back facing. Her legs were cramped up. It made car rides horrible. Yes we turned her around to early but I also don't think that 1 pound made a huge difference. There just has to be a black and white cut off. They have to set requirements. It would look bad if the box said around one year and about 20 pounds. I think as long as it is very close in that range it is fine. I wouldn't want to see a six month old forward facing but eleven months? yeah I think that's fine if the weight is up there where it needs to be. I understand people who do the extended rear facing and I think that's fine. It certainly doesn't hurt anything to be extra safe. We did not though.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• lol. My son is five and in a five point harness in DH car and a seat booster in mine. He is 40 pounds.

2cuteboysrmine: Just out of shear curiosity if your children were as small as mine would you still keep them rear facing until 35 pounds? I only ask because I don't think my DD would not be that big until around 3. DS was almost 3 when he hit that mark. I just wondered if age would make any difference in your choices.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think that it is really dumb for any mother to foward face there babys any earlier than a year old. Because if you were involved in an accident the violent force that a car has when impacted can really hurt a young child.There neck muscles really arent developed enough to foward face them. I have seen mothers who foward face there tiny newborns in the front seat with an airbag,or the back seat..i think to myself or say out loud"oh my god that poor little baby" and "what a dumb mother she is". I just dont get it...so to answer your question of whether or not you think that putting an infant foward facing at 11 months.no i dont think that you should. I mean if he/she is comfortable with being rear facing and not cramped then i would just leave him how he is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i erf, i think as long as you follow the 1 and 20 is good, 2 and 30 is much better. I HATE PEOPLE WHO TURN THEIR KIDS UNDER 1 YEAR AROUND, I WANNA SMACK THE CRAP OUT OF THEM
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I really think that kids should stay rear-facing until they meet the weight limits of their seat. 1 year and 20 lbs is a minimum, why not stick with it longer if it's safer?
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think that if you're not going to ERF, at LEAST keep them RF in accordance with the LAW. 1 year AND 20 pounds. We have child passenger safety laws for a REASON.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 11 months was illegal is what I think and know! I personally believe in ERF since I have witnessed a child being internally decapitated as an EMT and it is not a pretty site. I have also seen many other injuries that could have been prevented if the child had still been rear facing. Mine were rear facing as long as they fit in the car seat that way. They both hit the height limit before they hit the weight limit on their convertible seats and if I could have safely kept them RF until they were 5 or 6 years old I would have!!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• but mommie.....

no i do NOT keep them RF until the weight limit... maybe my 2nd i will but i turned my 1st at a year< i didnt know better> now he is 3 and still could be rfing but im choosing to not turn him abck around... he only weighs 29lbs.. my 1 year old however is already 21lbs so he may make it to 35 before it is time to turn around...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009