Are you born into your faith? (regardless of your religion, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc)

I see many people that say they were raised a certain religion. Some remain within that religion, others change as they get older. I am wondering, when you were old enough to understand your religion, do you feel it already was a part of you from the time you were born? In other words, do you think your faith runs through you and you would have found your religion regardless of how you were raised?
I was raisded Christian. But from a very early age, my mind and heart did not sit well with it. Within me, somewhere deep, I KNEW I was not a worshipper of any God. From an early age, I was drawn to the trees and the sky and the stars. I felt my peace in the wind in the trees and grass. I remember sitting in my bedroom, looking out and hearing the wind, and just feeling such an utter peace unlike any other.
I think it is within me to have the beliefs that I do...regardless of what others try to tell me to believe. How about you?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised as a mormon and I always hated going to church I was always forced. When I told my grandma I no longer wanted to go to church i was told I was going to hell. Now that I am old enough to make my own decisions and noone is forcing they're religion upon me I found I dont believe in any type of god and I am happier then ever.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I never doubted how I was raised and to this day I see the good in it and all of that but I dont believe in anymore.
    It will always be a part of me, was since the day I was born.

However, after some interesting life experiences I became aware of things Id never let myself really look at before. This time, though, I took the time to look into it and understand it and realize that answers Id always figured Id get from God eventually were right "there".

Although I was happy and felt joy before my spiritual change Ive now come to know a completeness in that joy and peace that I didnt have before.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Like you I was raised Christian, but even as a small child, I knew it wasn't right for me! I am a natrual born Pagan Witch! There is no doubt in my mind. Call it predestination, past life memory or whatever, but my beliefs are my own, I didn't learn them. I didn't have to. I believe today as I always have. Now, as I have grown and learned to understand things better my beliefs have matured but the basics are the same to day as they were when I was 6... No change! No reason for it! I was taught Christianity, but never belonged because I was born of the Goddess!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I never seriously doubted Christianity until I was 19. I changed over to agnostic atheism after about six months on CM. The people in this section (or, the people that were around more back then) really forced me to take a good look at what I believed...or thought I believed. I realized that I was just halfassing it, and no amount of prayer or worship or Bible study could change it. It was a long, hard road, but here I am and I'm better for it. I can never un-think what I've thought about now.

So to all the people here, no matter what your faith is, thank you! You're the ones who made me an atheist =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:51 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• No. My family was at least nominally Christian, though we didn't attend church regularly after I was about six or so (we got a new minister who my parents didn't like and they never found another church.) Even as a child I remember having a hard time viewing God as a personified deity. It just wasn't a view that made sense to me. Even when I tried to pay lip service to it, it didn't feel genuine. Ultimately in my late teens and early twenties I did a lot of reading/research/soul searching... ultimately in my mid-twenties I began practicing Buddhism because it encompassed what I already believed to be true and seemed to be just plain good common sense. It was right for me and I'm a happier, kinder, more compassionate person because of the path I'm on.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Anon 52~I am talking about faith, deep seated beliefs. Not religion. I should have worded my question better; sorry!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am a lot like sabrina, I was raised Christian as well, and it never fit.

like the figurative, square peg in a round hole, i drove confirmation classes nuts, etc. I would always ask questions that were "not very christian or very faithful" of me to ask.

I am a natural born Witch as well. I just had to fall out of the broom closet.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am a Christian. My religious herritage is like a chain, only broken and then fixed.  My great-grandparents, grandparents and parents were all Christian of a certain denomination.  My parent however, got badly hurt in a church split and would not even consider going to another denomination.  I was around 8.  When I was almost 15 I came to the same denomination and to Christ as my savior.  I came not out of deep study or fear of hell, but was drawn by the genuine love of the people which in turn pointed my to the love and grace of God. I am now in a different denomination but still a born again Christian.  About 5 years ago both of my parents came back to faith in Christ and to another church in our family denomination.

So I would say that I was born into a religious community but came to faith as a teen.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am a Christian and you can be born into a Christian family and raised in the faith, but each person is responisble for their own faith. You are not a Christian just because your family is Christian. You have to make the choice yourself.

It is important to remember Christianity is not meant to be about religion, traditions, rules. It is about a personal relationship with Jesus. Anyone can take part in the "religious aspects", but you can't fake the relationship. You either know Jesus and follow Him, or you don't.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yes and no . . .

I was raised in a Christian home (Presbyterian), but I never actually BELIEVED that everything I heard about the bible and Jesus was truth.

So, I left Christianity and became a Wiccan.
    BUT
    I realized that I made a HORRIBLE witch. Why? Because with every incantation spoken, every circle cast, and every candle lit I had something else in the back of my mind. Every time I called upon the Goddess, I thought about Jesus. I don't know why, but I did. My heart wasn't in witchcraft, as beautiful and fascinating as it was to me. My heart was with Christ.

SO
    I asked Jesus into my heart and chose Christianity as my faith.

To make a long story short:

I was raised a Christian, but I had to find my own way to reach TRUE belief and faith.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009