Anybody know, if you are called into court as a "character" witness for somebody do you HAVE to go in?

DH could possibly be called into court as a character witness for a family member accused of inappropriate conduct with his teenager daughter. Basically to put it nicely, he doesn't think this guy is a nice person, he doesn't think he did what he's being accused of but he's just a jerk in general. He doesn't want to be a character witness, if they call him can he decline or does he have to go in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If he is subpoenaed, then he has to go. I would think that the attorney representing the guy would call and speak to your DH ahead of time. No smart lawyer would put a witness on the stand without knowing what the witness will say ahead of time.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I've been asked to do it for my BIL he was accused of touching his young daughter... i had a gut feeling this was going on because me and my DH were living with him. there were alot of fishy things going on like they would sleep in the same bed in only underwear and other wierd inapropriate things. so i told his lawyer that i wouldn't feel comfortable doing it and the lawyer changed his mind and asked someone else.
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009