anyone a nurse?? can they spread this way??

ok so im in the process of treating my warts with compound W wart remover pads...and im scared to take a shower because I will have to unbandage my warts and cant the virus spread to other parts of me that way?? plus I have a cut on my leg, im scared if I shower the virus will wash from my fingers to my cut and then I will get it on my leg or other parts of my body!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Health

• excuse me for quietly laughing to myself over here. the wart virus is everywhere hun. your not using bandages all the time is not going to change a thing. the occurrence of your getting warts has more to do with your immune system than whether or not you were exposed, you have been exposed since birth. anywhoooo....dont worry about the bandages. take your shower and put the bandages back on. duct tape works alot better than compound W and is much cheaper.
    i assume you are talking about the common wart and not something somewhere else?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes im talking about common warts...I am having a recurrence, and I keep reading how HIGHLY contagious they are and how easily they spread..which I never knew, I had them when I was a little girl and got them burned off, never had them again then 10 years later after having a baby a few months ago here they are again!! and theres a bunch of them..they keeps spreading on my hands even though I keep them bandaged because I dont want to spread them to my daughter, the duct tape was taking too long so I tried the compound w again

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• should I leave the wart remover pads and bandages on while showering or take them off??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i would take them off while bathing, rub each wart with a fingernail file just a bit and replace the remover pads. some theories have been tossed about that a supplement of zinc is helpful with the treatment of common warts i have also read that OTC Zantac is also helpful in the treatment of the common wart. i have also seen some scrub the warts really well with a fingernail brush or toothbrush and place a small amount of a ground up aspirin on them, then place duct tape over them. aspirin is an acid and will gradually eat away at the wart while the duct tape deprives the wart of much needed air it needs to proliferate. and it keeps the wart softer for the acid to penetrate.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I knew I wasnt wrong about the zinc!!!! lol Ive read about oral zinc being used to fight warts, I found a clinical trial on it and I read about it in a few medical libraries including Merck. My doctor COMPLETELY wrote the idea off, saying he had never heard of it and not to do it, I did the research and knew I wasnt wrong, but he told me I cant take more zinc because im breastfeeding, and that my prenatals contain plenty (25mg), I read that Increasing mom's zinc intake does not increase the amount of zinc in her milk. on kellymom.com the breastfeeding website. I was only going to take 25mg more...but once again he completely wrote it off and made me feel worried about my childs safety
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• LOL, true true. but yes, we have had in the past a horrible ordeal with all kinds of warts. at one time my 3 kids were dealing with 3 different types of warts all at the same time. luckily our family doc was a good friend and he didnt worry about liability, just laid it on the line with stuff that really works whether the medical community believed it or not. and being in a very poor rural community at the time most of his patients could not afford any treatments so using other proven methods were paramount in his practice. even when Rx Aldara didnt work, the aspirin and duct tape did.
    Zinc and Zantac have both been proven in non-clinical trial settings to actually work. i cant remember the dosages we have finally gotten our wart problems taken care of.
    As far as your childs safety goes, he was worrying about his own safety and insurance liability.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• consider this, a doctor has to research and remember and treat numerous ailments. but a patient or a patients loved one will spend days and days researching on their own one ailment. warts in your case, and because of the unique interest will retain almost all they learn. a good portion of the time, a patient who has researched their own ailment will know or have a good idea of what treatment option will work for them.
    you already knew about the zinc option, i'm proud of ya!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yeah im thinking about doing it, but im not sure if I should wait until DD is done breastfeeding, 3 1/2 more months and ill be done, im trying for the full year so I dont wanna stop now and going back for another appointment at the doctors request, and im concerned he will tell me to stop breastfeeding, I know that my immune system hasnt been at its best since breastfeeding, I lost alot of weight at first, I wasnt taking in enough calories but thats because I was hardly ever hungry, im trying hard to get the right amount of calories and im eating super healthy, ive even started eating wheat germ daily, im hoping they will stop popping up but who knows, I might have to go ahead with the zinc treatment
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i spent alot of time researching ways to boost immunity for my kids to somehow combat the warts and could not really find anything that continually proved to be effective other than zinc. there are alot of immune boosting cold remedies on the market like Sootherbs and Emergen-C that contain echinacea and zinc. relatively cheap and taste good, the kids even had no problem using the supplements. it seemed to work for us.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• thats good to know! I can definitely understand why zinc would help, its so vital to the bodies immune and just over all health in general..you would think a doctor would know that..lol but thank you soo much for all of your help!! I know I sounded pretty ignorant for worrying about spreading my warts that way, but I guess the internet scared me a bit with how it talks about how easily they are spread and how highly contagious they are..I just dont want to be covered with warts! lol my doctor didnt really say whether or no they are easily spread of how highly contagious they are..but anyways im gonna definitely try the zinc, thank you again for all of your help!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009