To those who think marriage is "just a piece of paper,"

How would you feel if your honey proposed to you tonight?

What would you do? And why?

- there are no wrong answers (except for dishonest ones).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• well ive been with my man for 9yrs and we dont need a piece of paper to know that we love eachother and all that other stuff.....dont get me wrong i would love to be married but now days people just get married like its the thing to do and a lot of them end in divorce so as for me we are common law but if he asks me i would say yes just so i could have my ring and wedding because to me its just a piece of paper
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would tell him no because the idea of being married makes me feel nauseous and strangled. He used to asked me all the time but gave up a few years ago. Now that his sister is going through a nasty seperation I'm sticking to my guns even more. Though, if marraige works for you and makes you happy I'm all for it, it feels like a trap to me.
    BTW, I've been with my SO almost 7 years now.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Ok this is terrible! I have a ceremony planned. We are not signing a marriage license, but we are telling his family we are. I want a ceremony, but I don't need the paper. I am changing my name legally and that is the extent of the legal part of the whole thing. The love that we have for each other is something that we feel in our hearts and we don't need a piece of paper to tell us how we feel. But we want to make sure everyone around us knows how committed we are to each other. Does that make sense?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am not married but really want to be i have been with my SO for 5 years and have 2 kids. he proposed to me 4 years ago. but refuses to actually marry me. I am planning on leaving him by next year if he doesn't marry me. I need that piece of paper to know that if he ever left me or did something stupid and i left him years from now that i would be o.k. financially. right now everything is in his name house, cars, everything, so if we split up today i would be screwed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• so prettey much thats what the paper means to you?.....PREV POST???
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I"d laugh knowing he was joking. Neither one of us ever want to get married again

Answer by admckenzie at 12:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I understand what Anon :12 is saying. If there is no paper, he can up and leave, cheat, destroy her world in a single second and she can do nothing about it. He can kick her out, take her car, leave her and child(ren) with literally nothing except the clothes on their backs. And Yes, some men (and women too) can be that big of an A**hole. I've seen it happen.

Love is important yes, but so is respect and I think marriage is a part of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Before DH and I got married, he and our relationship was everything I had ever dreamed of. We were so happy all the time. Then we got married and it all changed. My friends told me it would, that the piece of paper changes everything but I didn't believe them. We got married and it was like, "Well, I've got you now so I don't have to try anymore." If I had it to do over again, if we could just go on like we were and I could be guaranteed that I'd still get to have the same children that we do, I don't know if I'd say yes. That statement makes me terribly said but it's true. I don't know if it's just that he changed that much, that we changed that much or if marriage just does that to a couple.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Like the pp said it IS different when you get married. And if you're with the right person, it changes for the better. If the thought of getting married to someone makes you nauseous, then you're with the wrong person!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• it's true that a lot of couples forget to keep courting each other when they get hitched, and kids can make it harder to get out on dates.

...but me and my hubby make that priority to get regular dates and still give each other notes and flowers.

It really is unwise to neglect that after the wedding and kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2009