Is it normal to feel rejected, almost ignored when your kid first moves away to college?

My kid is always on facebook and I try to reach out to her and send her emails but she ignores me.
It hurts and ticks me off all at once. I see other parents being close to their kids when they move on to college...why do I get the silent treatment? is this normal? She doesn't have money for books but has money in the bank and I told her she has to buy her own. Maybe she's mad about that. She is the type to want her money for fun not for things SHE NEEDS. She wants others to buy HER NEEDS. Maybe she's having too much fun? maybe a grudge? what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Leave her alone for a while. And do not give her money. Unless she NEEDS it. Tell her to go get a job.

Answer by louise2 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This is her first time being on her own. Give her a little breathing room. Call her once a week...don't call her repeatedly. She is busy making new friends and experimenting with her newfound freedom. I doubt she is intentionally ignoring you. When I went away to college for the first time, my mom would call every hour on the hour, day and night. It got on my nerves!! She was really sad because I moved out, and that's why she felt so sad and lonely. It's called the empty nest syndrome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Give her a gift card from the book store so she won't waste the money on other things. This is her time on her own. She wants to see what life is like without mom looking over her shoulder. It's not a bad thing. Let her spread her wings. She's not going to be gone and quiet for good.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• She is transitioning into being on her own.. Let her be. It's a new experience for her and I doubt she wants her mom breathing down her next all the time. She isn't doing anything wrong or uncommon. Some kids call or interact with their parents every day multiple times a day once they go away to college or get out on their own but others (Like your daughter) want their freedom to do and go and experience the world. Feeling rejected and ignored is something you need to work on.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2009