How do I get my tween to stop being inappropriate?

I work at my dd's school, so we are together often. She has learned some inappropriate words (to me they are inappropriate) like "booty" and "fart", and also some dance moves that I find totally wrong. She chooses to do or say these things in front of the other kids, and of course they laugh and egg her on. I have a fit, but is hard to call her out singly when I have 30 other students to worry about. Should I ask another teacher to intervene if they see this behavior? Or try the age-old, "Wait until we get home!" method??

emnasmom

Asked by emnasmom at 11:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• wait until u get home no need embarrasing her in front of her peers
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Would you say something to other students who were behaving this way? If so, treat her like everybody else. If not, then make sure she knows the consequence ahead of time of what will happen when you get home.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Good luck!! My son is 13 and he still does things like that. It is part of being a tween/teen. I don't mind it in front of his friends but he needs to be respectful infront of adults. If all he does is say inappropriate words, I am doing good.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• you think booty is an inappropriate word?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with the words booty or fart. I also work at my sons school and at times I have asked someone else to intervene so that he can hear it from somebody other then mom. How is she using the words? Oh and the dance moves, yeah that would bug me. My neice does that.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• What's wrong with 'booty' and 'fart'?
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Sorry ladies, OP here. In my home there are many words that we don't use, and those 2 happen to be inappropriate in my book. I'm not a prude or anything, I just think that there are certain words kids should use and certain ones that they shouldn't.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We say booty in church. It is a little joke that the music director has with the kids. All kids say fart. I work in the district not in the same building but I am aware of what he does and if those were the worst things he did, I wouldn't make a big deal about it.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 27, 2009