what do i do???

my parents have watched my son 3 times since he was born.he is going 8 months old .everytime they babysit him they dont follow our schedule or listen to what we say about his feeding.when we get him back he is screaming and has diarea.this last time i told them he eats by spoon the little jars of stage 2 babyfood and the same with his baby cereal. they keep telling me that he should just eat eveything through the bottle cause its easier.so they gave him his cereal through the bottle and also his stage 2 food.i was furious .they say he shouldnt eat by spoon and that he is developmentally slow because he wont eat everything through the bottle.they never listen to us.to me they are lazy for trying to make him eat everything through a bottle .they also treat him like he is a newborn.they dont let him sit up or crawl.what do i do?they said if they dont get to see him when they want they will take us to court for full custody...help

b4byd0ll

Asked by b4byd0ll at 11:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• that's a tough one, especially involving your own parents...where are they getting the idea that he should only be eating through a bottle? That's ridiculous...how do they think he is ever going to learn to eat...they can't take you to court just because you won't let them see him...they don't have any grounds....do you have to leave him over there? are they your only source for babysitting....the main thing is that you're the mom and they're not...you do what's best for your baby..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Tell them to try and take you to court. They wouldn't win you are not a bad mother and they have no grounds. My mother has only watched my daughter a couple times and I will never allow it again. She just sits her in front of the TV and lets my 14 year old sister watch her and she feeds her nothing but sweets. You can still take your son to see your parents just dont let them baby sit him. Be there the whole time. My mother still see my daughter but I just wont let her watch her unless I'm there watching.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• your parents will not win full custody of YOUR child. i would let them see the kid but make it a short afternoon visit once in a while. you don't have to leave your child with them for the whole day without you. that way you can make sure your child is getting fed the way you want him to.
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• ok at first i was gonna say, before i read the whole thing, that its ok for grandparents to not follow the same schedule..
    then i read it all.. i would NOT let them watch him anymore.. what they are doing can be harmfull to him... period...

unless you are like a drug dealer or something there is a VERY little chance they can take your child from you.. courts want children to stay with their mothers...

stand your ground and do what is right for your child
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• So what if they take you to court. YOU are the childs mom. THEY are the grandparents. Not many courts would give full custody unless something major was going on in your home that would be causing abuse or neglect. Tell you parents to back off, and to follow your rules. THIS IS YOUR CHILD. YOU MAKE THE RULES AND ALL PEOPLE SHOULD FOLLOW THEM REGARDLESS OF FAMILY OR NOT.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The only reason the courts would remove your child and give custody to your parents is if they proved you unfit. Feeding your child is not unfit. You should be feeding him with a spoon and letting him crawl and sit up and stand or try to. Encourage that behavior in him. You are doing everything that yo should be doing there. How do they expect him to eat puree through a bottle? That is ridiculous, IMO. Keep your child away from them as much as you can until they are willing to see your expectations and understand that you are mom, and you set the rules.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My MIL does not respect DH and I when it comes to raising our children (4 and 3). We do not allow her to babysit anymore, but she can see them whenever she wants as long as we are there too. We never really said "we don't trust you with our kids" we just don't let there be a situation where she would be watching them. We don't want to take our children's grandparent away so we try and compromise.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Sue you for full custody?! The judge would laugh at them for wanting to get custody of your child just because you don't wrap him in bubble wrap to keep him from moving and make him eat everything from a bottle. He's suppose to be learning to eat with utensils at his age. You're doing everything right. He's not developmentally slow. The way they're treating him will slow his progress in growing up which that might be what they want. He's getting close to one year which means close to taking that bottle away. How would they feed him then when you take him off the bottle? Sounds like you're going to have some problems with them. If you're doing everything right with your child, not abusing him, being good parents then they have no chance in taking him from you. They're just using a scare tactic to get you to keep letting them see him and not follow your rules. Do what you feel is best for your child.
    prcd_n_tatd

Answer by prcd_n_tatd at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009